0030. MY BROTHERS SHOULD NEVER BE ALONE TOGETHER

SHE PROMISED
( part two, chapter thirty )

AFTER ELIJAH POURED FINN A GLASS OF WINE, the eldest brother lifted the glass under his nose and sniffed. "What an aromatic Bardot," Finn commented politely.

"Well, it was a challenge to find a good pairing," Klaus said. "What wine goes well with treachery?"

"Don't pout, brother. Tonight is meant to be a happy occasion!" As a server approached Finn, he whispered something into their ear.

Elijah raised a curious brow. "What exactly are we celebrating?"

"Why, my return, of course!" Finn said. "Remember, I spent nine hundred years," he looked at Klaus, "right? 一 lying daggered in a box. I'm rather enjoying this new body. Strolling about your lovely city that, uh, you've made your home. But, do tell me 一 what'd I miss? Regale me with your contributions to society! Medicine? Philosophy? Art?" Klaus rolled his eyes. "Or have you two merely cut a path of destruction across time?"

"The last time we met, you were helping our mother try to annihilate the lot of us!" Klaus remarked. "Let's not throw stones in glass houses."

In walked a few caterers, carrying three extra sets of plates, glasses, and silverware, placing them on the table. Elijah, noticing it, asked, "Are we expecting another guest?"

Finn gestured to the head of the head. "Mother will sit at the head. And as for the seat across from me, that's reserved for another of our clan. Care to wager an educated guess? How about a paranoid one?"

Guessing it almost immediately, Klaus said, "Well, there's no way Kol would listen to anything other than his ego." He almost rolled his eyes.

"And yet, our mother has made such a compelling argument that even he, the wildest of us Mikaelsons, has seen the error of his ways and accepted his new form with vigor! Change, dear brothers, is inevitable."

"And what of this?" Klaus pointed at the extra plate next to him. "Who is this reserved for?"

"That is reserved for our dearest sister," Finn said, taking a sip from his wine.

It was Elijah who spoke. "Last I checked, Rebekah wasn't in the city. And even if she was, our sister wouldn't dare to align herself with you or our mother."

Finn smirked, his eyes growing mischievous. "No, not Rebekah," Finn said. Upon seeing his brothers' confused looks, his smirk grew larger. "This is truly sad to see; she was loved by us all but you seemed to have buried her memory so deeply that she doesn't exist anymore. Then again, it has been... what, a thousand years since we've seen our young Katrielle, hasn't it?"

Anger replaced the annoyance in Klaus' eyes. "Katrielle is dead. And we vowed to never speak of her again." Under the table, he clenched his fist tightly.

"Do you honestly believe that?" Finn asked. "And for your information, brother dear, Katrielle is very alive. In fact, she's in this very city. You've even met her and befriended her." He shook his head at his brother. "How could she have slipped past your fingers so easily?"

Finn couldn't be telling the truth. If Katrielle was alive and in New Orleans, they'd know. Especially if they had met her. It was their sister.

Besides, Katrielle had died a thousand years ago. Klaus could remember clearly walking into their home, ready to crush the heart of his mother when he stumbled the woman cradling Katrielle to her chest, crying. For a moment he had hesitated, listened to his mother explain how she was gone. He remembered falling to his knees, crying out in agony as he pulled Katrielle from his mother's embrace, holding her close. He remembered kissing her head and begging her to come back to him. He remembered the rage that filled his mind and body, knowing that it was his mother's fault for everything – for the lies and the deceit. Katrielle's death was just another one of her faults.

He killed his mother just a few minutes later, still crying as he committed the act. He blamed her for Mikael's hatred and abuse, for the years of torment he and his siblings endured, for Henrik's murder at the hands of the wolves, for Katrielle's death. The blood had stained his hands, but even still he had crawled over to his sister's body and cried again.

Over the years, he had tried to suppress those memories. He loved his sister and refused to have that as his last image of his sister.

Changing the subject, Klaus said, "You would dare face us as a mortal? The only thing inevitable is your death." He quickly flung a knife as Finn, who just deflected it easily, causing the knife to sink into the chair at the end of the table.

He imagined for a moment if their mother was sitting in that chair, the knife sinking into her flesh and ending her life. Klaus knew that he would have enjoyed that immensely, but Esther would've found another way to escape death.

"Oh!" Finn reached over, taking hold of the knife. "I suppose the honor of carving should go to the oldest. We have much to discuss."

A/N: four things. FIRST, happy
holidays to everyone; i hope
everyone's hannukah/christmas/
whatever was a lot of fun. SECOND,
sorry that elle wasn't really in this
chapter but she will make an appearance
next chap! THIRD, have y'all seen the
new spider-man movie? i really enjoyed
it. FOURTH, now for some reason, a
scene keeps replaying in my head where
elle, rebekah, and freya are all just
being boss-ass bitches in the club
with rihanna's s&m playing in the
background. someone send help pls