0036. A "LOVELY" BREAKFAST WITH THE FAMILY

SHE PROMISED
( part two, chapter thirty-six )

"WE ARRIVE INTO THIS WORLD as innocents," Klaus said, "wide-eyed, vulnerable. It is the job of our parents to nurture and protect us. Unfortunately, our own parents failed miserably at even the most basic of parental tasks. But we are not beholden to the past they created for us."

Elle looked down at the empty plate in front of her. Despite the fact there were several people serving all sorts of pastries for breakfast, she didn't bother looking up to grab one. Her wrists were still shackled from the previous night. The three of them had spent the entire night chained to the staircase, and Elle had lost feeling in her legs several times. She honestly couldn't believe she had managed to get some sleep.

"Today, a new future awaits. Forget your animosity towards Elijah and myself. Instead, join us against she who truly deserves your ire 一 our mother." While Kol rolled his eyes, Finn looked bored in his seat. "Do this and we will welcome you with open arms!"

"Well," Kol said with a slight grin, reaching forward to take one of the pastries but Klaus simply pulled the plate out of his way. Kol sighed and rolled his eyes once more.

"But if you continue to oppose us, a denial of pastries will be the least of your concerns."

Kol sighed again. "If all you wanted was my allegiance against Mother Dearest, you should have said so! Save me a night shackled to the wall."

"Yes, this was Niklaus," Elijah commented. "My recommendation was to remove your limbs, one by one, until your comply."

Klaus laughed a nervous laugh. "We've-we've no desire to torture you," he stood behind Kol and Finn, squeezing their shoulders with his hands, "provided you vow to stand beside us as brothers." He looked to Elle, smiling. "And as our sister."

There was something in his tone that sounded almost genuine, but Elle knew better. What happened a few days ago at her apartment had hurt terribly, but he was just angry (at least, that's what she told herself).

Finn shrugged and Klaus' hand fell to his side. Looking at him with skepticism, Finn said, "Brothers... does that word even apply to us? After all these centuries of betrayal? And, has loyalty to you ever rewarded? If so, tell me, Niklaus, where is our sister, Rebekah?"

Elle leaned forward in her seat. She too wanted to know where Rebekah was; last she knew, the blonde Original had been allowed to leave New Orleans with Klaus' permission but that had been so long ago. She was curious to know about Rebekah and how she was doing; even if she were to hate Elle for joining their mother instead of against her, she hoped to know that her sister was happy, wherever she was.

"She was blindly loyal to you for a thousand years and now? Nowhere to be found. Where did our sister go? And how did she escape your vile machinations?"

Klaus, whose back had been turned for the most part of that, turned and laughed. "Heh! You think me vile? What, then, do you make the one who cursed us?"

"She was trying to make you mortal again!" Finn retorted. Elijah quickly grabbed a knife from the table, almost annoyed by his older brother's words. "And you both refused her." Finn let out a dark laugh. "It only proves how far you've fallen. But I expect Rebekah will have a different response to her proposal. See, unlike the two of you, she always did cling to her humanity."

Angrily, Elijah gripped the knife tighter and almost shouted, "Rebekah is off-limits to you. You pursue her and you will suffer."

Surprised, Elle's eyes widened. She'd always heard tales of the wise and noble Elijah Mikaelson, and yet he was a different vampire from the one she'd met so long ago. And he was different from the brother she had grown up with and remembered; whereas her Elijah was always kind and gentle, this Elijah was much different. What happened in the few days she didn't see him? Klaus seemed surprised and confused as well and said, "Do not let him goad you, Elijah. Neither he, nor Esther, will find Rebekah unless she wants to be found." The hybrid turns to Finn. "And she does not."

"Esther is quite determined. She's been searching for Rebekah since the day she returned. I imagine it's only a matter of time."

Elle watched as in a single flash, Elijah had grabbed their eldest brother by the collar and slammed him into the table. He revealed his fangs, the black veins snaking around his eyes, as he then dug his fangs into Finn's neck.

A/N: had to put something
in so why not this chapter
where elle's barely in it ???