0009. MY SISTER CAN GET PRETTY P.O.'D

SHE PROMISED
( part one, chapter nine )

WHEN ELIJAH AND MARCEL RETURNED later that same day, Hayley had taken the laptop and had pulled up a picture of one of the many witches. "Hey, look, I found 一" she started but Elijah cut her off.

"You were right about the Deveraux witch," he said.

Elle could tell Hayley wanted to ask more but Marcel walked into the room. "Find anything about Clara, the mystery witch?"

"Sorta," Elle said, taking the computer back from Hayley. "She was a nurse at the Fleur-de-Lis Sanitarium, and besides what you told us, that's about it. She didn't kill herself; instead, she surprisingly died from the influenza in nineteen-nineteen." She noticed Marcel visibly freeze as she pulled up the picture. "Recognize her?"

Hayley pointed to the witch. "Top row, second from the right."

"No, I don't," Elijah said. "Marcel?" He turned to look at Marcel, who looked anxious. "Marcel, do I need to remind you that Niklaus and Rebekah are somewhere suffering horribly? If you know something, talk."

Marcel bowed his head a little and said, "The Sanitarium. That's where you'll find them."

"Why do you sound like you're absolutely positive about that?" Elle asked, raising a brow.

"Just trust me on this."

"How do you know?" Elijah asked.

"If I'm right, you need to know exactly what we're walking into. We did something, Rebekah and I... I think the witches are trying to use it against her. It was, uh... something that you're not gonna like."

Elle had always thought Marcel was a loyal person; she'd seen it with the way he ran the city, his people, and even her. But hearing the words of betrayal slip from his mouth made her think otherwise. She still wanted to think kindly of Marcel, defend him, for he had helped her in the past. He had always sprouted his beliefs about family and protecting one another, standing with family, but here he was, revealing his true colors and betraying the people he had called family for his whole life.

"For the better part of a century, I have wondered how Father found us, what foolish mistake that we had made to destroy our time in the one place that we could finally call home," Elijah said, his brows furrowed. "Did you know, I even blamed myself for a time, Marcellus?"

"Elijah 一" Hayley said but Elijah ignored her.

"Niklaus treated you like a son!"

"Rebekah, I loved her," Marcel announced. "I still love her. All we ever wanted was to be together, but as long as Klaus was around, that was never gonna happen. But hey, I guess you wouldn't know anything about that, huh?"

"When Klaus learns the truth, there will be no end to his rage. I will not let my sister suffer that wrath."

"Then we need to get to them before he learns the truth."

☆ ☆ ☆

After being informed that Rebekah had barely escaped Niklaus' anger, Hayley had offered to walk Elle home. "I don't wanna make Nik any more angry than he already is," Elle said, fixing the laces on her shoes. "Really, I'll be fine. Marcel's nightwalkers know not to mess with me."

"You sure? I feel like I kinda owe you at least this." Hayley rubbed her arm in order to warm herself up.

"Why? I didn't do much."

Hayley nudged her with her elbow. "You kept me company, you gave me advice. You've been... a friend to me."

Elle smiled. She had another friend... that felt really nice. "Thanks, Hayley." She placed a hand on Hayley's arm. "I don't know what the outcome of this... situation is gonna be, but promise me you'll watch out for them. All of them. Nik's anger will get the best of him and I fear what he will do to himself and the others."

"Of course," Hayley said and nodded. She waved off Elle, who quickly made her way home.

She didn't make it home until another thirty minutes, at which point, her sister had texted her a total of fourteen times and called her three times. Each time, she rolled her eyes and texted her sister that she'd be home soon. When Elle did make it home, she found Cordelia in the kitchen, sipping at a cup of coffee.

"Where the hell have you been?" Cordelia asked the minute she heard Elle place her keys in the bowl.

Elle froze and quietly groaned. "I was out and about, does it matter?"

Cordelia turned into the living room, leaning against the wall. "It does if it involves the Mikaelsons," Cordelia hissed, throwing in a glare. "Elle, I've told you before not to get involved in vampire business, especially Mikaelson business."

Elle removed her jacket, tossing it on the couch. "I honestly don't understand what's so wrong with that. I was helping them."

"That's what they always say. You help them and give them favors and then the next thing you know, your body is found in an alley or washed up on the Mississippi." Cordelia leaned on her right leg. "Don't you understand that I'm just trying to protect you? They're vampires; they're just using you!"

"Don't you think I know that?" Elle said. "I get it, they need us witches to do their... dirty work, but vampires will always turn to witches for help. It's to be expected. Look, Delia, I love you, you're my sister..." Elle exhaled softly, "but you can't protect me from everything."

"I can damn well try," Cordelia whispered.

"You've told me that before." Elle crossed her arms. "And you didn't protect me then. So what makes me think you're gonna do it now?"

Before Cordelia could respond, Elle had taken her shoes and walked straight towards her room. She quickly locked it behind her, completely unaware of the mini-earthquake she made.