Valentines Day

Jonathan

This day last year I was getting ready to go to Vancouver for the Olympics. I was still with Nicole and I didn't have a clue as to what a difference a year would make.

But here I am, a year later, with a stanley cup and a gold medal and a beautiful baby and the girl of my dreams. It's crazy to think about. I knew I wanted this kind of success early in my life, but before I even turn 23 I am in top of the world. There isn't a person in a better place than myself, I can assure you that.

And for this Valentine's Day I was going to make the most of the little down time offered. Cassidy was preparing for a regional competition and the first one since she won gold and had a baby. A lot has happened since she last competed but there was still a impossibly high bar set for her. She had to break her own records at this point but she never skated for the score. She wanted to be someone to somebody. For the little girl in the stand who wants to try skating but isn't really sure, she wants to show how empowering and strong skaters are. And she's doing just that.

But before that I had a date night set up. The few dates we've had since Olivia was born nearly three months ago was far and few between. We usually bring her with or do a in home date. But you only get one Valentine's Day a year, and while I don't love her any more today than I have any day before or after this one, I wanted to make it special. We have a parenting first mentality but I wanted to show her she was still the best thing that has ever happened to me.

So early this Valentine's Day morning I sneak out of bed. I check on my baby to see that she was awake and just looking around, always looking around. I pick her up and change her and she was ready for a play date with her self appointed god father. Patrick picks her up and I give him her diaper bag. I send them on their way before going to retrieve my fiancé.

I crawl back into bed and pull her into my chest. She stirs lightly until she fully awakens. She turns over so she's facing me and I move the hair out of her face so I could look at her. That blinding smile finds its way into her face and I feel my heart beat faster. It only does that when she looks at me but it honestly made me feel invincible.

"Good morning Jonathan" she says softly and I get chills when she says my name.

"Good morning baby. Happy Valentine's Day" I say and she smiles. She places a soft kiss on my lips that only make me want her more. But she pulls away just to tease me and I roll my eyes. I pull her back and I roll her over until she straddles me.

"Wait" she whispers as I kiss her neck.

"Hmm" I mumble on her skin only kind of listening.

"The baby" she gasps.

"She's with Patrick" I assure her.

"Is that supposed to comfort me" she laughs and I stop kissing her.

"All Patrick has to do is feed her and change her and she'll be fine" I insist.

"I'm not even sure Patrick can take care of himself" she claims.

"Maria is there too" I mentioned.

"You should have started with that" she insists. She reconnects her lips to mine and I sit back and enjoy it. She takes off her shirt and mine too before leaning back down.

"Are we really about to celebrate being without a kid by risking making another one" I ask.

"Nope" she assures me. "I'm on the pill now" she claims.

"This is news to me" I admit.

"I just started" she explains.

"So we should be good" I ask.

"We should" she shrugs.

"Let's find out" I smirk and she bites her lip.

After we spent the morning tangled up in the sheets I decide it was probably time to get ready for the actually planned out part of today. I find a pair of black dress pants and nice black shirt to go with it. I throw on some cologne and put a little more effort into my hair than normal.

I meet Cassidy downstairs who actually beat me getting finished for once.

"You look so incirdibly beautiful" I insist as I look her over. She had on black leggings and a long pink coat on. Her hair set in waves and under a black beanie cap.

"Thank you. You're looking pretty sexy yourself" she says and I start to blush. Only for her.

I lace my fingers through hers and pull her out the door. We get to our first stop which was Johnnies ice house.

"Are we Skating" she gasps.

"Duh" I say and she smiles.

We get inside and I hand her her skates that I had snuck out. We go out to the ice and she stops before getting out there.

"Oh my god" she whispers as the rink was filled with rose pedals. Written at the Center was our names and the date we were getting married in flowers.

"I figured we should get some pictures for the save the date cards" I say and she smiles up at me.

"This is amazing, I love it" she admits.

We take a few pictures and even recreate one from high school where I was lifting her. We had a lot of fun out on the ice like always. After a while it was time that they had to clean up and we were off to the next place.

We pull up to a old theatre and I put the car in park. Cassidy turns to me skeptically.

"This place looks abandoned" she admits.

"It is" I tell her and she raises a eyebrow. "But I had it set up for us. So I guess it's not so abandoned anymore" I shrug.

"I trust you" she relies and for some reason hearing that made me a lot happier than it should have.

We walk in and I turn in the lights. The floor of the theatre was torn up but there was a little picnic set out for us. I take her over and we sit on the surprisingly comfortable blankets. I press the on button on the remote and the word "Shrek" comes up on the screen.

"No way" she gasps.

"Is it really Valentine's Day if we don't watch shrek" I ask.

"Not a good one" she laughs.

She cuddles in under my arm and I pull out some fruit to snack on. We enjoy this movie like we had a million times before but this time was different. This time was special.