Ch. 17 - Don't Let It Go To Waste

Once you get outside you're greeted by the brisk early winter air.

"You are not very well dressed for the weather" Dave reprimands, motioning to your thin cardigan.

"I'm alright" You shrug, taking a last drag of your cigarette before throwing it onto the sidewalk and stomping it out.

"You really were the last person I expected to see in that bar today" Dave changes the subject quickly.

"I feel the same, I'm still too shocked to comprehend it" You say honestly and Dave flashes you his hyper-infectious smile.

"I know you won't believe me when I say this but I really do think about you all—" Dave begins but you cut him off.

"Dave I don't want to hear that. Can't we just talk as old friends? No mention of feelings or reminiscing about what went wrong." You say and he shrugs.

"Fine" He mutters, pulling out another cigarette.

"Can I bum one?" You ask and he raises an eyebrow.

"You wanna try a big boy Marlboro? Are you sure you can handle it?" He mocks and you flip him off.

"Only one way to find out" You say, pulling your lighter out of your purse. You guys both sit on a bench outside and smoke in silence for a few seconds.

"So what school are you at?" He asks in between drags.

"Well back home I go to Georgetown" You say and Dave looks shocked for a second before resolving his features.

"I shouldn't be that surprised, you were always a brainiac. Hell you even taught me some math" He says and you roll your eyes.

"Yeah I was such a good tutor my student dropped out of school only a few months into our lessons" You say sarcastically and he laughs.

"So you never left DC huh? What about all you said about wanting to see more of the world?" He asks playfully and you sigh.

"I tried, I got into good schools away from DC—" You begin but Dave cuts you off.

"What sorts of schools?" He asks curiously.

"Well to give you an idea I was supposed to go to Yale. But my dad got really sick my senior year so I had to stay closer to home" You explain and Dave's face falls.

"Oh I'm sorry Jules." He says and you can tell he feels bad, "How is he now?"

"He passed away my first year of college. We all saw it coming, he'd been an alcoholic forever, it was just a matter of when" You say, "I thought about transferring out but it would've been to hard to get my spot back at Yale so I stayed. I still want to go somewhere else, I'll just have to wait another few months to get out for good"

"Its so weird, because all you wanted was to get out of DC and I thought I would never leave. But now I'm stuck in the Pacific Northwest like half of the year when I'm not out touring everywhere under the sun, and you're living in the city. Its crazy how things end up"

"Its weird to think we've grown up so much. I know I'm still young but the fact that I'm graduating college makes me feel so old."

"Well let me just say you grew up nice Jules" He says in a candy coated tone, pretending to check you out and you laugh.

"You did too Grohl, I gotta hand it to you, you were hot in high school but with this long hair—the girls on tour must be fawning all over you" You reply and suddenly you fell back into the same flirtatious repertoire you had in the old days.

Once again Dave was so sly and smooth and knew just how to play you so that even though you had resolved not to flirt with him here you were, giggling and teasing and reminiscing about high school.