Chapter 15

Lirah thought leaving would make it all feel better, but her heart had felt heavy as she stuffed her sack with all the belongings she had left in Mirkwood. She let herself linger a bit longer, her fingers tracing the green dress embroidered with trees and flowers that lay on her bed. It was her wedding dress, so simple, just the way she had wanted it to be. She should leave it , perhaps even burn it. It shouldn't exist anymore.

"My lady," a quiet voice whispered, Lirah retracted her hand so quickly as if the dress had burned her. "They're waiting for you" The elf-maid bowed herself and rushed out of the door.

Ready for her? Was there a change in plan? She was to depart in the morning when the roads were safer, besides Elrond's men couldn't have made it so fast to Mirkwood. She finished her packing, and within fifteen minutes she was ready and armed to go. Lirah chose to stay in a chamber next to the servants, so noises were something she was used to hearing. But today, it wasn't just the usual sound of pots and evening chatters. There were some hastiness, Lirah could even say some secrecy. Their voices filled her ears as she entered the hallway, they stopped and glanced at her.

"Is there something wrong?" she asked. Silence, she was met with silence.

After a few moments, someone finally spoke. "My lady, let me escort you out" Lirah recognized him as one of the soldiers that Thranduil assigned to guard her chambers. She let him lead her out, and as soon as she was far enough, the servants spoke once again. She had tried to listen, but they were careful enough to speak so quietly that she could  hear their whispers but not understand.

There were at least thirty elves waiting for her at the entrance, they were not from Rivendell. "Where are the escorts that my brother has sent?" She could feel her heart beating faster, worry beginning to take root. "Tell me at once"

"We will meet them half-way my lady" One of them said "We must go now" There it is again, the urgency. Thranduil had done many things to delay her departure and now he couldn't wait for her to go. Lirah couldn't help but think that it could have something to do with Meoneth's release, maybe they wanted to rekindle their relationship. It's fine really, though Lirah felt so angry at the thought of it, she had let him go so he can do whatever it is he wishes. But can't he not at least say goodbye to her?

...

"You're a fool Thranduil," Meoneth drank from her goblet, her eyes not leaving Thranduil. He stood there unmoving, waiting and watching for Lirah to leave. "Surely you must know that lying is something Lirah do not forget so easily"

"I did not lie"

"And you did not tell"

"She would have never left if she knew, I needed her safe" Thranduil whirled around to face Meoneth. "What would you have done?"

Meoneth smiled, setting her goblet on a table. "I would tell her the truth"

"It's not that simple"

"Oh it is, my lord, it is"

Thranduil did not have the time to respond as Lirah rushed in, her hands clenched at her sides. "How dare you not tell me...that lake town is burning?" Meoneth grabbed her goblet and wished Thranduil luck before leaving.

"I wanted to keep you safe," he said, Meoneth was right. Telling the truth is proving itself to be the easier way. "Because I know that you have the tendency to feel that you could save all those people, you can't. You do not stand a chance with Smaug. I have told you from the beginning, you shouldn't help those dwarves. But you did not listen"

"Those people," Lirah felt sick with guilt. It was her fault. If she hadn't helped them escape, lake-town would be safe. "It's my fault. I have to--I have to do something" She has to move now, for her legs trembled and if she lingered, she would break down. No, not now. It's not the time to be weak.

"Don't be foolish, you can't go there" He grabbed her roughly that she winced. Thranduil eased his hold immediately but did not let her move freely.

"I am a fool, so let me do what fools do"

Thranduil and Lirah sat on a boat in silence, tension radiating between them so strongly no other elves were willing to ride with them. The dark sky was lit by smoke and fire coming from the town, even from afar they could feel the heat of Smaug's fire. Lirah hoped she took enough supplies to heal those who were wounded.

"We shouldn't have come," Thranduil said, crossing his arms. "We can't be sure that Smaug is dead"

"Even if Smaug is dead or alive, I can still save some of them," Lirah argued "I didn't force you or your soldiers to come"

"You did, the moment you set foot on this boat" She couldn't say anything more after that.

After many hours to reach the entrance of lake-town, and the devastation took their breaths away. It's been too long since Middle-Earth had to deal with a dragon, they had almost forgotten how quickly they could destroy cities and towns. Lirah's breath quickens, her eyes brimming with tears.

"I'm sorry, " Thranduil said, placing his arm around her. Lirah let herself fall back into his embrace as she wept. "I'm so sorry my love"

...

Hi guys, thank you for your patience. I know how hard it is to wait for an update, this is a story that was completed years ago and I have decided to re-write it but it takes times for me to write. Enjoy!

🎉 You've finished reading Queen of Mirkwood (hobbit/lord of the rings fanfic)**Under Major Construction** 🎉