Chapter 13

Thranduil waited, even when his duties called him, he waited. Lirah tossed and turned once in a while, but sleep still has a hold on her. "She hasn't woken," he said to the healer "Why?" The elven king had many talents of various sorts, but healing is none of them. "My lord," the servant said, stopping as he was unsure if she should address Lirah as queen or lady. "It could be the months of travelling that hindered her healing process. But she will recover"

"I know" the king snapped back at him. Of course she had to be fine. This world could not possibly claim another of his beloved, he would not allow it. "You may go". In the hall and out of sight was Meoneth, her hands trembling. Lirah will live and she doesn't know if she should be thankful for it. Then it dawned upon her again, the act that she has done. No one knew of it, she was sure for if they did Thranduil would have had her executed. Whether she lived or not, she will suffer the consequences of her actions. Thranduil did not have to do it for her, if her courage did not fail her before, she would have flung herself from the highest window.

When she came back to her chambers, she found the letters neatly stacked next to her bed. The messages she took from Rivendel elves but never delivered. It was unopened. Meoneth thought they were nothing more but mere words of pleading for Thranduil to take her back, but something of what she has heard from the healers that took care of Lirah that told her that there was something in those letters that would perhaps explain her long absence. She opened one and her legs gave under her. She wept for what seems like hours, Meoneth came to know what Lirah has suffered.

"Thranduil," she spoke so softly that it took some moments for Thranduil and the other elf to acknowledge her presence, her voice sounded so low that they have thought it was coming from the outside of the room. Thranduil dismissed the servant for the third time , his eyes not lingering on anyone else than his queen. "I am sorry Meoneth," he started, taking Lirah's hand into his own. "I can not return what you have freely given to me" Meoneth almost laughed, if the situation wasn't so severe and dire. Maybe she was led to believe that there was possibility, but it was her own fault for actually believing. Yet she felt that she had to ask. "Did you ever feel anything for me ?Did you ever think that I could replace her?"

His silence was enough to answer her. "She is beautiful and kind" she said, reminding herself all the things that she has done for her. Meoneth was nothing more than a servant, yet she has lived a life of comfort because of her. How quick and true that jealousy can blind, Meoneth hated her for leaving Thranduil, but Thranduil did banish her. "Why did you ever let her go?"

"I thought she would come back, as she always did"

"She did try but you turned her away". Thranduil's face changed. "Elrond sent hundreds of messengers yet you did nothing" The elven king found her words to be accusing, fury slowly filled him. His actions were more than justified. No one has to right to question him. Before he could speak, Meoneth gave him the letters. "What is this?" he asked "I didn't need letters, I need her to come back" Yet again, his anger surpasses his understanding. He hated to be wrong.

"Letters from Lirah that you ordered to be destroyed," Meoneth moved to remove a strand covering Lirah's face, she still envy her but she found her heart not to have the same hatred she had before. "I was the one who struck her with the arrow," she confessed "Let justice be done in your eyes, my king" She didn't let Thranduil speak, placing her hands in front of her. "I will go to the dungeous myself, you can deal with me as you should later. But please, read the messages for her sake"

Thranduil prepared himself to open the letters, the penmanship told him that it was Lirah herself that wrote it.

My dear and beloved king,

I hope this letter finds you well. I was wrong to leave you, I should have kept the vow that I sworn in the forest of Mirkwood. We could have mend every wrong we had against each other and faced the terrible truths in this world. I tried to turn back, but they found me.It was terrible my love, when the orcs found me-they-I did not have the sufficient words to describe the horrors that I have faced. Only the hope of seeing you again and be in your embrace do I find the strength to survive- that and the miracle that had come as a result of our love. I need you Thranduil. My spirit is weak, it pains me to see Celebrian be with Elrond as I lay alone without you. Legolas, our soon to son needs you. I do not know how long I could hold.

Lirah

Thranduil went through many of the letters, his heart growing heavier each word that passes his eyes. There was one that was written from Elrond himself, he was angry yet he forced himself to be polite and request his presence. Lirah's eyes open slowly as she felt something heavy above her, then her shoulder felt damp as if water was pouring on it directly. "Forgive me, forgive me" she heard Thranduil chant over and over again, his left hand still clutching the letters. Lirah's own eyes started to tear, she leaned into his embrace first, then pushed him away when she remembered the kiss that she witnessed during the feast. It wasn't proper, if his heart is owned by another, then she must let him go.

"Let's not hurt each other anymore Thranduil" she said "I will let you go now" Thranduil's grip remain on her, refusing to let go. "You don't love me" she pushed him away harder this time and he had to let go so that she would not be hurt. Her wounds were still fresh and recovering. "I will allow you to see Legolas, it is your right"

"But I do" he responds, trying to take her hand. "I love you and our son" He hasn't met Legolas yet his heart beats for him, a proof of their love and his legacy.

"I don't feel it" she moved quickly and stop as her movement was too sharp for her wound. She grimaced at the pain. Thranduil leaned in close to help her find a better position but she refused him. "I want to rest" she said simply, turning so that her back was to him. She didn't want him to see how hurt she is and how she still long for him after all this years. The elven king honoured her wish , putting her feelings and wants before his for the first time. He will work hard to gain her trust again, and he will do everything right this time.

                                                                                 *******

Hi guys, I wasn't planning on continuing the story but I've seen some comments that wanted an update and I could not resist. Thank you for liking what I wrote so far :)