Chapter 5

The company fled, trusting that the darkness of the night to protect them, the moon serving as their only light. They wasted no time , fearing that the elves would come and stop them. Thorin felt his blood rising, whether from running or anger towards the elves he does not know.  He hated the fact that he had to flee  like a criminal, the elves and the white council had no right to stop him from reclaiming Erebor .

The dwarves breathed heavily, as their sudden escape left them with little rest, even Thorin the strongest of them found it difficult to go further.  He stopped and waved his hand, effectively stopping the others from moving forward, his eyes searching for Balin first. The oldest in the company. ''Balin,"he said as he walked towards the dwarf. ''How are you doing?'' he asked, the old dwarf did not reply at first, clearly struggling to keep his breathing under control. Dwalin stood beside his brother, taking a vessel filled with water from his pouch, he gave it to Balin.

''Thank you!'' Balin said cheerfully , as he took the vessel gratefully. Even though he smiled , Thorin could see his face showing signs of great exhaustion. ''We can camp here'' Dwalin said,visibly worried . They were not as strong now, the years of their life taking most of their strength. All of the dwarves glanced at their leader, waiting for his command in obedience. Thorin nodded without saying a word.

''Are you certain laddie?'' Balin asked, ashamed of the possibility of him slowing the company down. Thorin placed his hands on his shoulder this time. "We have time,'' he grinned, '' the others need rest , including I'' he said honestly. The dwarves cheered, clearly delighted that they would receive rest. All of them were quick to find their own spaces, Thorin volunteered to take the first watch of the night.

It did not take long for the company to fall into a deep slumber, the half-ling however found it hard to sleep, staring into the night sky as he dreamed of the comforts of his home. Only the two of them were awake, the sound of the rustling trees filled the silence between them, the hobbit felt that Thorin disliked him. Finding nothing to talk about, they stayed in silence.

Uncomfortable, the hobbit stood '' I'll just--umm, I'll be back" he said excusing himself, walking not too far, he started removing his outer clothes. It was drenched with sweat and it disgusted Bilbo, it was a good thing he brought spare clothing with him, as he proceeded to remove more clothes...

He suddenly hear a loud gasp, moving backwards terrified of what lies ahead. ''Show yourself!'' he exclaimed, taking his little sword out, though he had no plans of using it.

There was nothing, he commanded once again '' I have a company of fierce dwarves!, come out now and we will not harm you" he tried to make his voice steady this time.

There was soft footsteps that he could hear, but he did not know where it came from, looking around frantically he waved his sword around. In the darkness, there was a figure that emerged, but Bilbo could not see as the darkness serves as a veil protecting the mysterious figure's identity. ''Who are you!'' he asked as he near where the company rest.

''I did not mean to startle you hobbit" the hobbit was stunned on how a voice could sound so sweet like a melody, dropping his sword he recall whom the voice belonged to. He knew he had heard it when he had supper with the elves, but finding it difficult to assign the voice to a name. "There is no need to fear, I am Lirah, an elf from Rivendell"