Chapter 9

The great eagles came to their aid, their sharp claws grabbing the dwarves who are seconds away from falling. Lirah felt relieved, and with much concentration, added more force with the wind. Thorin lost consciousness. The halfling crouched next to his unmoving body and frantically trying to wake the dwarf with rough stirrings. The elf wanted to help, she could heal him, but the threats remained and she needed to shield them.

Looking back she saw all the dwarves gone, leaving only a lone great eagle for the three of them. The creature lowered itself closely to the ground. "Bilbo get on the eagle now'' she said but the hobbit hesitated. "But Thorin,'' he said, feeling anxious that Thorin is gravely injured.

"He is going to be alright, now come on, ride the eagle now" she said, "We don't have much time" Bilbo nodded with much regret and got on the eagle. "Are you not coming now, Lady Lirah" the hobbit said, outstretching his arm for her to take. "I don't want you to be harmed"

Lirah smiled gently at him. "Gandalf will have an eagle for me, I'm sure of it. Now go now little hobbit" The great eagle rose with Bilbo above it, its sharp claws taking Thorin.

Within moments a great eagle came to fetch the elf, withdrawing the force in an instant, she gracefully got on the creature without much trouble. Azog watched all of them leave with great anger, feeling that he failed his master and himself. One day he promised, one day he would get to kill all of them.

The others watched nervously as Thorin still hasn't awaken , the sun was rising around them signifying the start of the next day. Lirah stood behind as the wizard stretched his arm to wake the dwarf, the injuries were nothing serious so they could not find the reason why the dwarf lay asleep still. Gasping for air he has awoken, his eyes darting all over the place.

"The halfling'' he muttered breathlessly.

"It's alright, he is here with us, safe and sound'' Relief washed over the dwarf quickly like a flowing river, they are safe now and much closer to Erebor than ever before. The dwarf rose as his eyes set on the hobbit, he had tremendous amount of words he had to say.

"You! What were you doing? You nearly got yourself killed! Did I not say that you would be a burden? That you would not survive in the wild and that you had no place amongst us?" The others were left shocked, not expecting Thorin to be harsh, especially after Bilbo has saved his life.

"I've never been so wrong in all my life!" he embraced the still shock hobbit, but after recovering, return the dwarf's embrace. "I am sorry I doubted you."

"No, I would have doubted me too. I'm not a hero or a warrior...not even a burglar." the others laughed in agreement, fondness for the hobbit in their eyes.

In the distance, Bilbo saw something peculiar "Is that what I think it is?"

"Erebor—The Lonely Mountain. The last of the great dwarf kingdoms of Middle-earth." All of the company witnessed the great mountain, breathless and speechless it left them. "Our home" Thorin said.

"A raven! The birds are returning to the mountain." cried Oin at the sight of birds flying over them and heading towards the mountain itself.

"That, my dear Oin, is a thrush." the wizard mumbled low enough to not cause disappointment.

"But we'll take it as a sign - a good omen." Thorin said, his smile reaching his eyes.

"You're right. I do believe the worst is behind us. "Bilbo said, walking forward and seeing the majesty of Erebor. It was beautiful when seen at a great distance, how much more beautiful it could get once he reached it? As the others took time watching the mountain, the elf had her eyes set on the familiar woods. Mirkwood. They are close now, but Lirah still did not feel ready to see Thranduil. She did not know if she had the courage to, is he the same stubborn king that she left?

*************************************************************************

"I saw them, they are close. Many of them, but there is something that concerns me more" the group surrounded the breathless hobbit, eager to know more of what he has seen.

"What form did it take? A bear?" Gandalf inquired.

"Yes-- I think, but larger yes. Much larger" he said, looking back at the wizard.

"Beorn.."Lirah said quietly. "Gandalf, it's night, he would not be himself" she proclaimed.

The wizard shook his head still, feeling that he had no choice. "We have no choice, let us go and hope that we could outrun him"

Pushing and urging the dwarves, all of them yet again ran for their life. Miraculously, Bombur was faster than the rest. Near them they saw a simple wooden house, and with all the sense of urgency they ran inside. Beorn howled like wolf and the company shivered in fear. Some dwarves stay against the door as Beorn tried to enter forcefully, after some moments, it stopped all together. For safety, they lifted and moved objects against the door, hoping that it would keep themself safe throughout the night.

Lirah stood close to one of its window, watching as Beorn ran back and forth , restless. "Beorn" she uttered, feeling her heart torn seeing the man lose control over himself. The elf knew him, he was a good man, he saved her in the woods. In the morning, she stayed up and opened the door, waiting for Beorn to come.

"My lady, it's good to see you well" Beorn said. Without hesitation, the elf embraced him. "I hope you are well, have they hurt you?" Beorn felt ashamed, not feeling worthy of the Lady's attention and care. "Why did you come back here, it's unsafe. The woods, there is evil in the woods" Lirah pulled back.

"I have a message to deliver" she said vaguely. Beorn's face changed between sadness and anger. "I hope it's not for that arrogant king"

Lirah's heart dropped. "You saw him?"

"Yes, indeed. The king would often walk through the woods , as if he was waiting. I tried to talk to him, but he wouldn't speak to me, seeing me as something lower than himself"

Seeing the flicker of emotions in her eyes, Beor changed the nature of their conversation. " Alright, I'll help your companions, just for you my Lady. What do you need?"

Looking at the abundance of dwarves, she smiled. ''I think breakfast would do for now"