Chapter 10

The wizard watched as the company walk before him, their eyes frantic. The Great Mirkwood was a distant memory now, conquered by a dreadful sickness in its very roots. "Is it safe?" Bilbo asked, moving closer to his companions, he has an awful feeling of being watched. The hair on their neck stood, the quietness adding to the fear and trembling that has taken most of the dwarves.

"I'll be waiting for you at the overlook, before the slopes of Erebor. Keep the map and key safe. Do not enter that mountain without me." Gandalf said, the dwarves turned to him, gasping at the surprise departure of the wizard. They need him now more than ever, the orcs are after them and soon enough the creatures that lived in the dead forest.

"You're leaving us again?" cried Bofur "We need you Gandalf"

"I do not wish to, but I am needed" He mounted a horse, his eyes pointed at the elf. "You're strong and wise enough for this Lirah, deliver them to safety" Lirah averted her eyes, nodding silently , knowing what she must do. Returning to her position, she lead them away. "We will now approach the gate, never lose sight of each other" she instructed.

As they approached the gate, the dwarves marvelled at its beauty. "So beautiful and familiar" Bilbo said , pointing at a graceful statue standing before them, it stood alone, it's arms outstretched widely as if it was welcoming them."Lady Lirah, is that you?" said Killi, walking closer to inspect the statue's features. "It certainly is you. The nose , the lips and the eyes, especially the eyes" Killi tried to stop himself for commenting further, but the words were like an itch in his mouth. "Though it didn't look as sad as yours now.." Thorin glared at the young dwarf, in silence he scolded him. Killi retreated then behind his older brother who gave him the same pointed look.

The curious hobbit glanced at the tall elf, and saw the multitude of emotions in her eyes. "Was she your mother?" Turning his eyes back on the statue, he saw a fresh array of flowers at its feet.

"No, Bilbo, that is Lady Lirah herself" said Balin, looking down with great sadness on his features, for he knew what had happened. The elf was still and silent, not knowing if it was the best time to reveal who she truly was, but at this point, it seemed that Balin would be quick enough to do it for her. "Not only is she a Lady of Rivendell, but she is the wife of the wooden elf king Thranduil"

"Luck is definitely on our side!" Bofur exclaimed, smiling widely.

"No, I'm afraid not Bofur,'' Lirah said, urging them to start moving again. "Anything that was ever between us has died many years ago" Bilbo ran with all his might, wishing to stand next to the elf. "Yes , indeed my lady. But surely you have friends in Mirkwood still?" The hobbit has always been pessimistic, but there was just this thing that happens at odd times such as this, sometimes he feels himself become optimistic and hopeful. Perhaps it was because he was surrounded by dwarves for too long, their determination is unparalleled.

There was a twinkle in her eye, a smile dancing in her lips. "Indeed, Bilbo! My dearest friend Meoneth lived here, though I don't know why she didn't visit me at all at Rivendell. But I miss her so, I hope she is doing well" Urging them to move faster, she laughed gaily, moving along and talking about the elves in MIrkwood. They were not as wise and calm as those in Rivendell, but oh how silly they were and full of courage and mischief. "The feast of starlight is upon us, my dear friends you must see it yourself, it's wonderful"

Kili leaned closer to Fili, whispering discreetly. "Is this the same elf that we left with?"

"We are going in circles," Thorin muttered grumpily "Are you certain this is the way?"

The smile left her lips, her brows coming together in confusion. "Yes, I think so"

"You think so?" Thorin said "I thought you knew this woods? That is why we brought you here" Balin stood near and placed a hand on the dwarf's shoulder. "It has been a long time since Lady Lirah visited this wood, there are many things that has changed, give her time" Balin thought that having an elf in the company would ease Thorin's hatred , but it seems that he only found a place to direct his fierce anger, blaming the elf for most of the misfortunes of their adventure.

Bilbo looked around, left to right, down and up. Then, an idea brewed in his mind. "I know what we must do, I can climb up there and see which path to take" he said, already approaching a nearby tree.

"Brilliant idea !" said Fili "Bilbo, you're brilliant"

Bilbo smiled shyly at the compliment, then recovering fast, he coughed awkwardly and made his way up. The fresh breeze caressed his face, and he could not help but smile. The sun was setting and it was so beautiful, the sky in a beautiful shade of orange. "I can see everything from up here" he said, hoping that his voice was loud enough to reach his companions.

"Hello?" he yelled a little more loudly. There was no response. Suspicious, he carefully climbed down the tree, his heart beating fast against his chest. He felt the urge to wear the ring, just for protection. Carefully, he slid it back on, becoming invisible. When he descended at last, there were webs everywhere, covering each branches. He looked around, looking for Thorin and the others. There were a lot of emotions and voices, both known and unknown, from afar he saw the wooden elves. Like the elves in Rivendell they were fair and tall, however, from what he has seen, they were less forgiving. Their weapon are aimed at the dwarves and Bilbo wanted nothing more but to intervene, but he knew that he would be useless if he was caught too.

"My Lady" an elf said, lowering his bow in surprise. They whispered amongst each other, unsure of what to do. The Queen of Mirkwood cannot be harmed. But she was with dwarves, treacherous companions. "They are my friends, please do not harm them," she said "They are not dangerous"

The elves were torn for their love of their Queen and for their loyalty to their King. "I am sorry" an elf said, raising his bow again and ordering the others to do the same. "But my Lady, we are obliged to follow the orders of our King" Capturing the others, they pushed the dwarves forward but left Lirah free.

An elf maiden with a red hair came close to Lirah's side, wanting nothing more than to embrace her Queen. "My Lady, it has been so long. I am glad you came back, perhaps, things might change" she said, lowering her eyes on the ground.

"What had happened?," Lirah asked, feeling the elf's unrest. "Is Thranduil harmed?" Her heart felt faint, afraid that something terrible has happened.

"No" the elf simply replied, refusing to say anything more. As they marched towards Mirkwood, Lirah saw how all the beauty had faded, she could feel evil lurking. She wanted to know , but something told her that none of her questions would be answered.

"Where is Bilbo?" Bofur whispered quietly and Lirah was troubled, her eyes searching. "I will stay" she said.

"My lady it's dangerous !" the elf said , grabbing her arm. "If my lord knew that we left you out here, he will banish us" The elf pleaded with her and she saw genuine fear in her eyes. Thorin caught her reluctant eyes "He is safe" he mouthed to her.

"My lady?" the elf pushed her gently with her hand, urging her to walk again.