Chapter 3

The sun was bright, but it felt brighter when Lirah took little steps towards the outside halls of Rivendell. Blocking the rays with her left hand, she took more steps. The letter from Gandalf tucked safely in her other hand.

Everything felt foreign to her then, the sweet smell of air from the flowers , the subtle sounds of the grass when the wind flew by, the sounds of life was all around her. For a brief moment, she forgot all the horror she had suffer through, instead she spent time reminiscing about the joys she had at the garden right in front of her.

The garden where she danced and sang with other elves, the place where she planted many things and watch it grew, the very place they first met. He stood  still, not moving as she first introduced herself. He whispered '' Fairer than all the white gems''. She did not understand at first, thought of it as nothing, until the other elven maidens giggled and whispered. The weakness of the Woodland King was white gems of all sorts, and thought of her as more beautiful than all of them.

Lirah smiled childishly to herself when she had remembered of that time, though the elven king was courteous to her, she gave him a rather cold welcome. After all, it was his fault that her trip was delayed, there was important matters that needed to be discussed he says , and stayed longer than he should have.

The night that she was to depart with Maeneth, Elrond begged her to stay for a little while so she could take care of Rivendell when he is away and preoccupied. After all, the Lady of Rivendell herself, Lady Celebrian was still recovering from labour. Out of love for Rivendell, and not wanting to part from the new born twins herself, she agreed to stay. The guardians of Middle Earth rarely share council with one another, so it was the time to fully discuss every concerns that arises. The mischievous Elven king somehow always had something to say or discuss, to investigate, and took his sweet time.

It was getting tiresome even for Elrond, who lost his calmness just for a second, exclaiming that some of the matters could have been in letters instead, and need not his time. The woodland elves were getting tiresome and restless, missing their families and homes, until the Woodland King finally surrendered and announced that he will leave. He stayed for many days, days that felt like eternity for Lirah.

Those were the days when everything was calm and safe, but now Middle Earth is in danger once again. All inhabitants could feel it , from Elves down to the dwarves themselves. Shuddering, she embraced herself, feeling faint and afraid. Her whole body shaking lightly , remembering many things, things that she wished would not come into her memory.

Even though it was the morning, and there was no signs of darkness, she felt afraid. Distracting her from the terror was her niece Arwen, who ran gracefully and came to her side '' Come, let us go inside'' Her right arm enveloping her in a tight embrace as they walk.

''I'm sorry Gandalf'' she thought, though it has been many years, the terrors never left her. It became her, not letting her live , threatening to engulf her with its dark presence. Elrond willed for her to follow Celebrian, who sadly shared her fate also, but Lirah refused.

She had to stay, not only for her but for him. Descending fast from the stairs above them, was a little elfing, who's growing too fast. A pair of green eyes like hers stared at her excitedly, Arwen wanted to hold back the elfing, fearing that it would bother her, but soon gave up as he smothered Lirah in kisses.