Chapter 8

The dwarves ran with all their might, the feel of fear heightened as they fled down the valley. Could the goblins be following them still? The terrifying shrieks echoed as a number of them had indeed followed them, surviving the great fall of others in the cave.

Gandalf led the group warily, thinking ahead already of what to do. The company should have waited for him, they could have died if he had not come.The old wizard was furious and he wanted nothing more than to yell at the stubborn dwarves for disobeying him.

Lirah let herself run slower so she would stay behind the dwarves, taking three arrows from her quiver, she aimed with her bow to anything that would venture any closer to them.

But when one of the little goblins came, her hand trembled, and she could not find the courage to release the arrow. Seeing them this close instilled a crippling terror within her, and she wished Thranduil was there to protect her. She frowned, not liking the uncontrollable thoughts that cursed through her head, she didn't need him. He doesn't need her.

"Come Lirah, faster now" the wizard yelled as he witness her slowing down.

"How are we going to escape,"she said, her eyes seeing that there was nowhere to go to. It was a dead end. "It's a cliff that we are heading to" her keen eyesight saw further than the rest, soon enough they would have to stand their ground and fight. The dwarves themselves are exhausted, their rapid breathing and panting was loud enough to indicate that.

Gandalf seemed to be more annoyed than afraid, so Lirah spoke. ''Gandalf , why are you not afraid?''

''My Dear Lirah, it has been years since you left those dreadful halls. You have forgotten! Goblins hates the sunlight, if we run fast enough, we will be safe''

After some moments, the wizard ordered them to stop.Lirah's eyes wandered and saw no more threat, how could she forget? The goblins hated the sunlight, that is the reason why they lived in caves. She felt stupid.

''Five, six, seven eight'' Gandalf started to count as the dwarves took a moment to recollect their breaths.

"Where is our hobbit?'' he asked, alarmed. The company looked for answers within themselves and found none.They all had some things to say, so with turns, they spoke aloud.

"Don't blame me!'' cried Dori, feeling frustrated that the blame was shifted to him. He had to worry for Nori and Ori, he had no time to care for the hobbit too.

''What happened exactly?'' she asked, hoping that it would shed some light to the whereabouts of the halfling.

With fierce anger, Thorin answered himself.''I'll tell you what happened" The others chose silence, though they knew that everything he would say would be harsh towards the hobbit (unfairly so), none of them wanted to receive his anger.

"Mister baggins saw his chance and he took it. He has thought nothing but his soft bed and his warm hearth..since first he stepped out of his door. We will not be seeing our hobbit again"

Before he even finished speaking, Lirah sense another presence, through her eyes could not see. She felt darkness and evil lurking close to where they stood,her ears hearing the faintest of sound but it was not strong enough to be traced.

In an instant, Bilbo emerged. "No, he isn't'' he defended.

The other pester him with many questions, glad that he was with them and was unharmed.

"I have never been so glad to see anyone in my life"

"Bilbo, We'd given you up. How on earth did you get past those goblins?''

"How indeed?"

Seeing the reluctance of the halfling to answer. Gandalf spoke on his behalf. "Well, why does it matter? He is back"