Chapter 14

Mirkwood was filled with silent tensions during the days of Lirah's recovery. The she-elf could hardly escape Thranduil, bringing her to a constant sour mood. "I can do things by myself" she would snap, but Thranduil would not waver. Not at all. He would insist on holding her as she walks, and at meal times he would serve her.

Now, he pours her wine at supper. Lirah's limbs felt new and strong as she stretched, her wounds a distant memory. "I think I can travel again," she took a mouthful of bread, humming lowly at its delightful taste. Thranduil set down the bottle, almost slamming it down but stopping himself at the last second. 

"You need more rest" He sat across her, his eyes assessing. She looked refreshed and strong that it unnerved him, Thranduil would have no excuse to keep her in Mirkwood. 

She squirmed in her seat, uncomfortable with the intensity of his gaze. "I can manage," she said, meeting his eyes "I have no more business here"

Thranduil's eyes widened slightly, his mouth forming a thin line. Good, Lirah thought, let him be angry so that he would stop this act of being a caring husband. Let him explode and argue with her, she'd be more comfortable with that. 

Oh, I don't think we are finished just yet. Thranduil thought. "Legolas" his left brow rose as did the edge of his lips. "As my only heir, he will rule Mirkwood. He cannot rule if he is in Rivendell, can't he?" If he could keep their son in Mirkwood, Lirah wouldn’t be able to leave. Thranduil would have his family together and whole. 

"Mirkwood is crawling with spiders and orcs" Lirah glared "It's not safe"

"And you think you'd be safe out there?" He emptied his goblet with ease, thinking he had already won.

"I am capable enough"

"You were travelling with dwarves, thirteen of them..not the most capable and wisest of warriors I must admit,” Thranduil filled his goblet again “Yet you and your companions hardly survived the encounter with the spiders” 

The wine swirled fiercely in Thranduil’s goblet, if it were a little bit stronger it would have spilled and stained his clothing. “Do you wish to test me?” Lirah challenged, it took a lot of her willpower not to splash his face with wine. 

“Not at all my dear” Thranduil sat back in ease “ I know of your power. But even the most powerful of elf couldn’t fight orcs and spiders alone” 

“Then perhaps you can give me some of your men” She had spent enough time in Mirkwood as it is, and she is not willing to stay any more than she has to. Lirah missed Legolas terribly, besides that, staying too long made others hope that she would stay as Lady of the Mirkwood realm once again. 

“No”

“And why not?” Lirah stood, her appetite gone. Her face had flushed into a deep red colour, her fists clenching at her sides. She could not understand why he had to make everything hard for her, can’t he just let her be? Did he not hurt her enough?

“Because I need them here” Thranduil wanted to say that he couldn’t trust them with someone so important, were Lirah not with soldier elves during her travel when she was abducted by orcs? Their carelessness had caused Lirah and him enough grief. They were not good enough in his eyes, if someone were to assist her, it should be.. “I’ll take you there myself”

Lirah’s brows rose in surprise, her face flushing once more. “You can’t possibly mean that” Just the thought of it sent her mind and heart racing, all those nights and days with Thranduil and her alone? Surely, it’s not a good idea. It would drive them both mad. “I don’t think it’s wise”

 “I can protect you” Thranduil teased, standing closer to her now.

“Can you?” her voice had been sharp and resentful. “I'm sorry” but it was too late, for his face had already darkened.  He gripped her shoulders keeping her on the spot, she averted her gaze but he would not let her. Gently, he stirred her face back to face him, Lirah could feel his wrath. Thranduil had been angry many times, but so rarely she had seen it this intense. 

"I would never let them hurt you or Legolas" He vowed "I will not fail you again" Hearing those words almost made Lirah feel again, but she couldn't let those feelings take root. She couldn't bear another heartache. 

She moved so that his grip loosened  and gave him the coldest face she could muster. "I shall send word to my brother for help, thank you for the offer my lord"

And when the elf left, Thranduil drained another bottle of wine by himself, hoping that it would make him  ignore the pain that started ever since Lirah left him. Tonight, he will drown his sorrows and tomorrow he shall try once again. He has to, Thranduil allowed himself to love a few, and when they have his heart, it is theirs forever.