'After what happened. Don't, the girls are fine. I'm fine. We're all fine.'

'Are you sure?'

'I would say, wouldn't I.'

Steven knew his mum; she spoke her mind.

'No doubt you would.'

'Just try to get some rest, and when you have done that, find out what you can about this old man you have.'

'You still don't believe.'

'That's he a devil, not really. But somebody old might have once lived in your house, and did something bad.'

'Something that made all this happen?'

'It's just a hunch, but if you do have a devil haunting your house, why appear as an old man?'

'Because he's not going to show himself as a red monster you see in the cartoons.'

'True, you may have a point there, but just do what I'm asking. After all, there must be a reason for all this.'

Steven agreed, and later on, after filling up with sandwiches because Fiona was too shattered to cook. The conversation went over to Chris and his team. The progress they were making with the church.

'Have you heard anything from him?'

'I rang him a few times on his mobile; he said the church is looking into the case. They've got the evidence; it's just a matter of waiting because only some priests are trained to deal with cases like ours.'

'But we're not Catholics.'

'Chris said we don't have to be.'

'I know. I remember from the last time, but that was for a blessing. What about an exorcism?'

'I don't know. Chris never said.'

'You never thought of asking?' Fiona said, surprisingly, but Steven had the favours stacked up for his defence.

'Why, he and Sam are the experts.'

Fiona said nothing — but went to the kitchen. Steven followed — his toothache was starting again.

'It's gone cold. I'm gonna put the heater on.'

'It does feel a bit chilly. Do we have any painkillers?'

'Toothache again?'

'A bit, but it's not all that bad. Besides — we got bigger things to worry about.'

'I know, we have.' Fiona said softly. Her eyes, for a second, had the expression of a puppy looking sad. Steven saw it.

'I'm sorry, but it's not something we can hide from.'

'I know. It's just nice to forget sometimes.'

'I know what you mean.'

Yawning, the long nights were starting to catch up with her.

'I might go to bed soon.'

'Are you tired?'

'A bit.' Fiona said. 'I think all those late nights have caught up with me.'

'I know how you feel. I don't think we've slept well in a long time.'

'You can say that again. At least tonight, the house is quiet. I think we should make the most of it.'

Steven, wishing his toothache would ease up, knew an early night wouldn't happen with him. And because of the torture in his mouth, he couldn't sleep; and went downstairs.