Chapter 26

The next few Saturdays prior to Halloween had set routine, something new to Dave.

Every morning Rose would wake Dave up and they'd get ready to meet Karkat at the junkyard, thus the fun began.

Karkat would set up some practice range for the day, a new challenge for the day, not necessarily in the order of "easiest to hardest", more of the order of "whatever the fuck he thought of that morning."

The first day Karkat set up cans on a bench and asked Dave to focus on setting each one on fire. Dave told Karkat that he was actually setting up for a shooting range rather than 'fire practice'. Karkat told Dave to fuck off and focus.

The first session went terribly. Now Dave had no idea if the garbage in a junkyard was flammable or not because google wouldn't tell him shit, though he didn't actually go into the articles google suggested, more read the article name and decided they weren't right.

Dave ended up setting fire to most of the garbage around him.

The session went on from early morning to late afternoon/early evening-ish. By the end of the first day Dave actually manages to set fire to one of the cans, and the entire bench (a wooden bench wasn't the greatest choice).

But gradually Dave started to get a little control, he could now bend a flame slightly to his will as it flew at one of the cans.  Dave was making progress and he was proud of himself for that.

After the junkyard is when Rose snatched Dave's free time to bring him to Kanaya's house, where he had his halloween costume made.

Dave had no say in his costume, Karkat had made sure of that, so he was stuck in a Human Torch costume for all of Halloween night.

The gang had planned to go to a haunted house for Halloween. Jade had invited John and Dave was totally not freaking out about it, not at all, he was fine.

Actually he was freaking the fuck out but wouldn't tell anyone.

Never in the history of white teenage boys had a white teenage boy obsessed over how they looked in a skin tight costume.

On Halloween Dave spent about two hours in front of a mirror trying to fix his hair, he cleaned his sunglasses about eight times making sure they were spotless, and proceeded to check himself out in the mirror.

"Dave you look fine," Rose reassured him, applying black lipstick to truly gain the aesthetic to her wizard costume, "and I'm sure John will think that too."

"I'm not worried about that!" Dave said, Rose just chuckled in response, standing up she walked towards the door, "Now if you'd stop looking at your ass we need to leave, everyone will be waiting for us." she said, walking out of the apartment.

Dave followed her, still not convinced that he looked perfect. He just hoped the night went well.