Chapter 4

"Who the fuck is John?" Karkat said when Jade was out of earshot. Dave shrugged. "Dunno. Someone she met online i think."

Karkat scoffed, followed by a somewhat awkward silence between the two. Eventually Dave broke through the silence. "So, make any move on Tz yet?" Karkat's face went red. "N-no. W-well I... You see..." He stuttered.

Dave was laughing. "Dude you still haven't told her? You know, if I were you I'd make a move quick. I'm pretty sure i saw Makara talking to her yesterday in the park and it was preeettyy obvious he was flirting." Dave leant up against the wall. "You mean Gamzee? N-no he wouldn't. I don't think he's even into that sort of thing..." Karkat looked down at his feet.

Dave said nothing after this, he just looked around, watching as new students entered the school and as classmates of his rejoined each other after the summer months.

But there was one student that caught Dave's eye, a boy sitting underneath the tree across the yard from him. He dressed simply compared to all the others around him. A basic white shirt with some sort of ghost on it, jeans and sneakers. He was sitting there reading, ignoring what was going on around him.

"HELLOOOO?! EARTH TO DAVE?!" Karkat waved his hand in front of Dave's face. "Have you been listening to a word I've been saying?"

Dave stared at him for a moment. "Huh?" "Oh come on! I was just describing the perfect plan to ask Terezi out and you were just standing there staring at something as if it was the most important fucking thing in the world!! Come on Dave!"

"Wha-oh sorry Karkat... Can you repeat your Terezi Trap for me?" He said as the school bell rang. "First off, that movie reference was terrible and it's too late to tell you now." He shoved his hands into his pockets. "I'll see you later." Karkat muttered and headed inside the building.

Dave looked back over at the tree. The boy was gone. "Hey Dave!" He turned to see Jade running up to him. "Oh hey. Did you find John yet?" They walked into school together. Jade frowned. "No, I didn't. Maybe he'll be in some of our classes?!" She smiled slightly, stopping outside the maths room. "Well this is my stop!" She turned to Dave before entering the room. "Good luck!" She was gone.