Chapter 23

Dave and Rose entered the apartment. "Well...that was awkward," Dave remarked, trying to flash a smile and give a (fake) laugh.

"It certainly was," Rose said looking at him with concern, "You know Dave, you may have to tell John about your ability at some stage...right?"

Dave's power wasn't a topic he liked discussing. There had been several...explosive incidents in the past with basically scared Dave shitless. He normally refused to acknowledge them and when minor incidents do happen he tended to get overly freaked out, but he really was just scared of himself.

Dave half laughed at Rose, "How? Hoe do I go up to a guy and go 'Hey! I have an extremely dangerous and deadly power that I can burn people's fucking faces off with!! Please be my friend!!' That shit won't work, and what would John say to that?!" Dave plopped himself down on the couch.

Dave's bedroom door opened and Mayor walked out, sensing Dave's tension (which he'd seen enough of) and sat himself down on Dave's lap, purring.

"All I'm saying Dave is that you can't hide this forever." Rose sat next to him and Dave didn't respond to her, he only turned on the tv to some shitty show Dave had no interest in, not that he was actually watching it anyways.

Hours passed, Bro came and went, Mayor moved back and forth between Rose and Dave, loving the extra attention.

Rose had gotten up to use the bathroom when Dave's phone rang.

"Uh...Hello?" It was John's voice.

"Oh! Hey John," Dave said calmly*

*he was not calm at all.

"I was just wondering about what happened earlier...you guys just sorta left quickly." John sounded slightly nervous, slightly upset (which made Dave upset by the way).

"Oh...oh no it was nothing really just couldn't leave my brother waiting....he's a stickler for time keeping, boy the amount of times I've gotten in trouble..." Dave lied.

"Oh all right, I was just wondering,"

"Yeah?"

"Do you wanna hang out tomorrow?"

"Sure, I'll bring Rose along and everything she'll-"

"Um actually Dave....I was wondering if you and me could just hang out..like, alone."

"Oh! Yeah! That's cool too! It's a date! Wait no shit not like an actual date I mean a set date in time where- Jesus fuck I'll see you tomorrow."

Dave hung up the phone in utter embarrassment.

"So," Rose's voice startled him, "Gotta date with John huh?" Dave tried to protest but was quickly cut off by Rose's laughing.

It was in this precise moment when Dave truly believe he was a big fucking idiot.