chapter nine ; back down to the basics

1/1 ; ??:?? AM ; Durance Family Household

The majority of the Durance family fell asleep in the living room , said for the twins who retired to their bedroom shortly after the ball dropped . Nix's back ached too much to sleep on the couch again .

Everyone soon passed out , The twins passing the hardest . Despite this , Alex woke his brother up from a dead sleep almost two hours later . Like a child waking their parents on Christmas , Alex shoved and nudged Nix roughly .

Nix grumbled into the pillow and shoved his face into it , his following words being misconstrued by the fabric . This did nothing to stop Alex from poking Nix once more .

Nix groaned and shot up to shove Alex off and away from him .

" The fuck do you want ?! " Nix spat .

" Shh ! Shh ! " Alex hushed . " We're going shopping get up and changed . "
Nix dropped back down to the bed , and rolled over to yank his phone from the charger . He starred at the time with squinted eyes , and never had his want to murder Alex been so strong .

" It is one fifty seven in the morning . Who the fuck do you think you are ? " Nix insulted .

Alex turned and pointed at the back of his letterman , where DURANCE was plastered in white . " The one and only . "

" You and I both see the issue with that statement , correct ? "

" Just get up . " Alex said , walking out . Nix groaned and swung his legs over the side of the bed before getting dressed . He slid on a jacket and a pair of shoes he was unsure of the owner of . Too tired to care either way , he shoved his phone in his pants pocket and greeted Alex outside .

Nix climbed into the jeep , shotgun . Alex starred at something on his phone quietly and shook his head before turning it off and chucking it in the back . Nix cringed as he heard the phone collide with window before falling down to the floor .

But that was , weirdly enough , the only discomfort he felt for the drive .

Nix laid his head back as Alex shoved the keys into the ignition , and the car started with a rumble , the heat immediately kicking on much to Nix's pleasure . Alex pulled out of the drive way and flipped on the head lights before beginning the actual drive .

Said drive was completely silent , allowing Nix to drift in and out of dream land the entire time while Alex concentrated on the road with a stern look on his face .

Nix was tempted to ask if he was okay , but two things kept him from doing so ; the first being the road conditions which were obviously not ideal , and the second being ; He didn't want to know .

" Where are we going ? " Nix asked , grogily . Alex glanced at Nix , before looking back at the road .

" is'a surprise . " He muttered .

" I don't like surprises . "

" Too bad . " Nix managed , even in his state , to roll his eyes . The warmth of the car combined with the fact Alex couldn't do a thing to him on the road without them wrecking was euphoric - blissful . Calm in the middle of the storm .

Nix let his eyes shut , and his entire body shut down for the first time in weeks .

When he woke up , he woke up to the jeep parked on top of a hill infront of thousands of trees that spanned for what looked like an infinite amount of miles .

Alex got out of the car .

" Nix , wak- " Alex paused , looking up at Nix who struggled to gain an idea of his surroundings . " Oh , you're up . Get out . " He ordered .