Chapter 24 "VIOLET"

I had always thought that I lived a drab life; I rarely went on vacation, rarely met new people

I had always thought that I lived a drab life; I rarely went on vacation, rarely met new people. I lived in a solid cocoon which kept me a prisoner. Didn't matter how many times I had tried to escape, I was always entrapped within it. I woke up early, went to our workplace, 'Reef Knot', and helped Kyle with his routine financial documents, and in the evening, returned home with Aidan. We had dinner, watched movies, went on porn sites and had sex. We never had any serious talk about the future and I felt that it ruined me. I just wanted a sharp and bright change from my boring existence.

Only later I had realized that all my beliefs about Aidan had not been worth a penny. I was just lying to myself that he loved me, adored me, and that all his thoughts were only about me, until one day, I opened the door of his office and saw him caressing Kyle's secretary with his dirty hands while she sat on his desk, her skirt lifted up to her waist. After that, I no longer had any desire to do anything with him. I had woken up from a dream in which I was trapped for two years. Though I didn't really know what I wanted, I had believed that I would love Aiden more with time, and that he would finally take a step towards me, and that we would have a real family. I used to constantly blame myself that I did not give him a lot of my time and was being selfish. But life had put everything in its place, and I saw the true face of Aidan Tyrell. Of course, I was sad and sorry for myself, knowing that he had made a cuckold of me with Kyle's secretary. He was obviously not satisfied with me in any sense of the word, and he didn't even have any desire to improve our relationship. But then why did he have to lie to me? I hated people like him. Not only physical, moral betrayal hit me. But the disrespect hurt me more, and the constant lies he had said—'Wait. I haven't stood on my own feet yet. I need to adapt to the firm's rules'. I had no idea if he was with Kyle's secretary the whole time I worked with Kyle. Anyway, it was pointless.

I had wondered at the time if a woman like me really was unworthy of love and happiness. My cousin Christian always said that people receive either gifts or a kick in the ass from life owing to their good or bad behavior. Perhaps he was right. I so often received such blows from destiny because of my stupidity and far-fetched vision of the world. I was floating on a cloud of the imaginary slogan of life which said 'everything will be perfect' until fate...my destiny threw me down to the ground, and I met Kyle. It shook me and slapped me awake, saying, 'Hey Violet! Stop dreaming! Look at the world through different eyes! That's what you wanted, right?' And she winked at me, grinning bitterly.

I got what I had wanted. I was hoping my wishes wouldn't come to me with the whole luggage of misfortunes. But it did and all my hope that I would be happy with Kyle died the moment I overheard their conversation in the kitchen and found out who his real father was. I was in shock and my head was still not clear. This newly revealed secret knocked me down and it seemed that my road with Kyle would soon end. My sobs, like the sobs of his mother, could help neither Kyle nor Mignon. They most likely would worsen their situation.

I felt sorry for Donatello, especially after hearing that his family was murdered by Grave, and I was afraid of what Eberardo de Rege would do to him now. Would he kill him too? I was exhausted from all the psychological stress that I had been experiencing ever since we ran away from Grave and now it seemed like any positive emotions which may have been left within me had dried up. Fear permeated deeper into my soul, and I was worried about Kyle's mum and Toris. Confronting a man like Grave...They could hardly stand against him, but I prayed. I desperately prayed to God so that he would save Kyle and Mignon. I was still hoping for some justice and wanted Grave to suffer, even if he was Kyle's dad. I could never forgive him for what he had done to Kyle. He had decided his future for him and Kyle had no choice. I was an emotional wreck. And I knew that Grave was completely unpredictable.