Chapter 7 "KYLE"

As usual in the morning I was walking about the office and was looking at my colleagues working

As usual in the morning I was walking about the office and was looking at my colleagues working. I tried not to stop when passing by those who twiddled their thumbs. Some of them were chatting, others were playing some stupid games, not having time to close the Internet sites. Although today I didn't have strength to yell at them, because I was very nervous. I was stressed more than ever.

Yesterday my old and trusted friend Sarah went to the meeting with those freaks. Ask me why she suddenly wanted to substitute her ass instead of Violet's and help me to fool managers of club "Drunken Cherry"? Well, apparently she wanted to meet me halfway after I assisted her in the divorce proceedings. Her husband wanted to sue her apartment, even though the apartment belonged to her. At the end I solved all her problems, and she was living alone in her apartment with peace of mind.

When I asked Sarah an advice about Violet's situation, she immediately agreed. She didn't even ask me what kind of club it was, and what the hell she had to help me. And I couldn't figure out why Sarah reacted to that so calmly? Maybe because she had nothing to lose? Or maybe she felt sympathy for me? I didn't know. Maybe she ran to it just because of some special excitement to dangerous turns of fate? Maybe. Sarah has always been an unusual woman who was never afraid of anything. Probably because she used to work in the strip club and different men came her way: normal and spazzy. She stood up for herself and knew how to respond in kind; she was versed in communicating with different contingent of visitors of the club. Sarah could seduce any man and was able to get any valuable information. She had a special charm, like a smart and self-confident woman, so all the men looked at her like spellbound. And I was sure that she would succeed.

Well, if to say the truth, I was kind of sure that she would succeed.

But damn it, how terrified I was when next morning I read fresh news in the local newspaper. I just froze, being unable to move. As if I was sent to other reality where I couldn't do anything. I couldn't go back and fix what I had done. I was the cause of the mess that happened yesterday.

Having decided that it was not worth lingering, I called Violet into my office. When she came in, I immediately thrusted my index finger into the dayly newspaper. Violet quietly went to the table and, having glanced at the front page of the newspaper, immediately turned pale. Her hands twitched, her lips trembled a little, and her body was frozen to the spot. There was horror in her eyes, and her face looked like the face of the actress of mime and gesture's theater, which showed its new performance called "Horror today."

Her silence was just killing me, but what could I do? To say that I was a complete shitass that didn't stop her when she ran into the club? That I didn't tell her what was waiting for us? That I was a complete blockhead, believing that we would be able to pull the wool over their eyes? So I remained silent as well.

But Violet finally began to speak.

"God... She's dead..." she put her hand to her mouth, trying not to sob. "No no no..." She repeated, slightly shaking her head, as if she wanted to get rid of the veil of dizziness overwhelming her. "Say that it was a joke, Mr. Jamieson. Please..."