Chapter 8 "KYLE"

Having had supper at work and completed all preparations for the tax audit, I looked at the clock with joy

Having had supper at work and completed all preparations for the tax audit, I looked at the clock with joy. Violet would arrive in Dubai in an hour at nine o'clock in the evening by Madrid time and could fresh herself: to bath or watch movies on plasma TV. Then I would call her and find out if she is all right.

I was definitely glad that everything worked out. The sun also rejoiced with me, warming my tired shoulders and my face turned thin for these days. A few minutes later I was a little worn out from its heat, and I dozed off in my large, comfortable leather chair.

Soon I was awakened by a mobile phone call. I quickly glanced at the clock; it was fifteen minutes past nine. Perhaps she has already arrived.

I quickly picked up the phone, hearing a bit hoarse voice of my bodyguard.

"Mr. Jamieson, when Ms. Fire should arrive?"

"At nine p.m., Tadeo," I replied.

"Are you sure?" He cautiously asked his tricky question, clearing his throat in the phone. "Because her plane has already arrived, but she didn't come out."

My gut became numb. I stiffened, feeling that the nightmare that began in the morning didn't end, and it would be haunting me until the end of this shitty day.

What the hell happened during the flight on this plane!? I thought. After all, everything was all right. And if something was wrong, she would have called me. I just plainly convinced myself that her silence throughout the flight was a matter of course, and she just didn't want to disturb me. In fact, it wasn't normal. Any person would have called to another one, knowing that someone worried for her.

"Sir, can you hear me? Sir???" My bodyguard was agitated, listening to the silence in his phone.

"Yes, Tadeo," I replied lifelessly, wanting to get rid of the same strange dope which was Violet overwhelmed with.

Where is my Violet? Where??? Damn it all to hell!

"Don't worry. I can fly to you in half an hour and help you to find her," Tadeo offered, deciding to support me.

"No, it's too long. Seven hours of waiting would be the worst torture for me..." I said almost inaudibly, being in a state of shock. "I let her down... damn me!"

"Sir, maybe Miss Violet slipped past me, so I couldn't find her?" Tadeo persuaded, but nothing could assure me now. I was destroyed.

Violet was gone, and I didn't know where to look for her.

I broke off our conversation by pressing the reset button, not wanting to communicate with anybody. During these four days Violet became a sense of my dark life, and I didn't know what I should do next. How to respect myself after killing of two women close to me because of my carelessness?

I couldn't forgive myself for this. I wanted to get three sheets to the wind and forget everything!

As soon as I reached for the bottle of brandy standing in my bar, my cell phone rang again. I saw an anonymous number. Heck! I knew who it was. And I guessed what that man wanted to tell me - the owner of the club "Drunken Cherry" seignior Grave. Probably, he decided to finish me today.