Chapter 60

Now, at least, the fight against the Dragon King was evenly matched. Both Raegon and Kronx fought Argon alongside each other, slowly drawing him back towards us.

But other than that, we were clearly on the losing side. Their was simply no way that we'd be able to take down so many imperials, try as we might. Even Rutilus and I were barely wounding the black and green dragoness, and I could have sworn that she was merely toying with us.

If only we'd fought this battle in perhaps another year. Giving Rutilus and I time to grow bigger and improve our fighting skills. Even with Kronx's guidance for the last so many months, our combat skills were still lacking.

Eyes narrowed, I lunged towards the black and green dragoness, my target remaining to be her wings. Snapping and clawing at her wing, I was well aware of Rutilus darting around her head, scratching her whenever she tried to focus on me.

But the dragoness was quickly becoming impatient. Snatching her wings out of my grasp, she shot higher into the air, leaving us watching as she rose higher and higher. What was she doing?

Confused, I exchanged a glance with Rutilus. 

A piercing screech split the air as I realised that she was diving back down towards us. Knowing better than to wait for her to approach, I flared my wings and dived towards the ground. I did not know whether Rutilus was doing the same thing; I could not see his glittering red and gold scales.

But what I did know was that the black and green dragoness was still behind me, using her momentum to slowly catch up to me.

My eyes narrowed as a new idea came to mind. Perhaps I couldn't fight her off, but perhaps we could tire her. Out-fly her. Surely there was a chance that we could do that, especially since it was only her following us.

Swerving higher back into the sky, I beat my wings. Slowly climbing higher and higher into the air, much to the dragoness's irritation. Behind me, I could hear her grumbling in irritation - as though a wild chase had not been part of her plan. 

Amused, I climbed higher into the air, raking my gaze across the sky. Where was Rutilus? I couldn't see him flitting through the air, or even hovering near the area we'd been fighting the dragoness.

Rapidly growing alarmed, I inspected each of the fighting dragons.

I'd known that we were being overwhelmed, but I had not realised how quickly that was happening. I could hear the dragons in my wing scream out in pain. Even so, they still kept fighting. Doing whatever they could to make the imperials feel the same pain - even if not quite to the same extent.

Finally, I spotted Rutilus, fighting another imperial alongside his mother. The dark purple dragoness appeared tired, with several large wounds on her flank, but her own yellow eyes were as fierce as ever as she continued fighting.

Grim, I was barely aware of the black and green dragoness pulling up beside me.

"You didn't really think that you'd win against us, did you?" she leered, although her yellow eyes didn't have the same malicious gleam they'd had earlier. Instead, they'd become softer. Darker. Sympathetic, almost.

Startled, I blinked at her. What had changed?

"If you join us, they won't need to keep fighting," she continued, her voice soft. Trying to sway me. "None of them will die, which is bound to happen if we continue."

The offer was tempting. I didn't like watching my wing fight, for my sake. As much as I hated to admit it, some of them would die.

Even if it didn't look like it now, we still had the slightest chance of winning. Besides, giving up would mean that my freedom would be snatched off me. I'd have to serve the Dragon King - and idea that made me shudder. Especially since Raegon and Kronx seemed to despise him so much.

Torn, I continued watching the dragons fight. Despite their annoyance with each other, Caelum and Thorak were fighting side by side, fighting off one of the many imperials. Several other dragons continued to fight the imperials fiercely, not daring to give up.

My gaze landed on Rutilus again. Watching as he fought alongside his mother in a battle that was almost impossible to determine who would win. But the red and gold drake's determination could not be denied as he continued to lash out at the imperial dragon.

He was not going to give up. Not now, not ever.

And neither would I.

Holding the black and green dragoness's gaze firmly, I stated, "No."

"So be it," she murmured, and I could have sworn that pity glittered in her yellow eyes as she flexed her talons - a telltale sign of what she was about to do next.

I darted out of the way, gliding down away from her. But the dragoness continued to follow me, even as I swerved between several other fighting dragons. Behind me, I could hear her irritated grumbles and screeches of anger, only growing louder as I continued to avoid her.

"Look! The city!" A dragon exclaimed, although I was unable to discern who it was. Nonetheless, I halted, slowly glancing across the sky until I stared at the city.

I froze.

Around me, the battle ceased yet again as everyone watched in horror.

Dragons were pouring out of the city, heading straight towards us. There were so many; too many to count. Scarcely able to believe what I saw, I could only stare at them as they raced towards us, screeching and roaring as they neared us - undoubtedly intending to join the fight.

Of course, on each of their backs, were humans, controlling their every move.

Heart in my throat, I could only watch as they joined in the fight. At first, I couldn't tell who they were attacking, whether it be the imperials or our wing - or both. All I knew was that slowly but surely the battle was resuming around us.

I jerked my gaze towards the black and green dragoness, slightly relieved to see her own yellow eyes wide with horror. Fear.

The thundering of wingbeats grew louder and louder, as though a dragon was approaching us. Stiffening, I twisted around - only to see Rutilus, his molten gold eyes gleaming.

Confused, I stared at him, but he gave nothing away as he launched himself towards the black and green dragoness again. Reluctantly, I followed suite, warily keeping an eye on the approaching humans and dragons.

Hoping that their arrival would allow us to defeat the imperials - despite knowing that we were the dragons that they seemed to desperately want to capture.

*~*

1137 words

Please do drop a vote and comment if you enjoyed! Next chapter should be out tomorrow. :)