Chapter 29

Draped against the stone cave wall, I watched the three newcomers. None of them had moved much since arriving in the cave, remaining huddled together at the water's edge. Even after a night's rest, they still appeared to be tired and weary - it would take them a while for them to recover.

A shadow fell over the cave as Kronx stood up, slowly approaching the three dragons. His wings were flared, allowing him to leap over the water effortlessly. "You have a decision to make," the dark blue dragon rumbled, focusing on the three dragons.

The dark green dragoness craned her neck, her yellow eyes gleaming as she held the bigger dragon's gaze. "We will go back to the territory we lived in before."

"Is that such a good idea?" Kronx questioned, his silver eyes impassive. "How long have you been gone? At least a few months. For all you know, other dragons have claimed your territory."

A soft rumbling sound erupted from the dark green dragon's throat. Baring her teeth, she hissed, "then what would you have us do? Besides, there's no way of knowing that our territory has been claimed."

Kronx remained silent, fixing the dark green dragoness under a heavy stare.

Shuffling my wings nervously, I watched on uneasily. It was clear that the dark green dragon wanted to go back to her territory, and her frustration grew with each passing moment. Her tail swept back and forth, and even her eyes were blazing furiously.

Beside her, Kaiya shrank away, fear flashing across her purple eyes. "Neira..."

Lips curled, the dark green dragon's head swung towards the smaller dragoness. "What?" she snapped, still growling softly. "We can't just give up our home! We'll go back, and reclaim it."

Kaiya did not dare reply.

"We will return to our territory," Neira repeated, holding Kronx's gaze once more. "Thank you for your... hospitality." Flaring her wings, she glanced around the cave one last time, her gaze lingering on the glittering gemstones scattered across the cave wall.

With a faint sight, she launched into the air, hovering by the tunnel's entrance as she waited for her companions to join her.

Only Kaiya shot up and hovered beside her.

Kodar remained rooted to the spot, staring up at the dark green dragon in shock.

Neira's yellow eyes narrowed. Snapping her jaws shut, she returned the white dragon's glare, waiting for him to follow her. Tense silence filled the cave. Not a dragon spoke - or breathed. Wide-eyed, I glanced between both dragons.

After what seemed like hours, Kodar broke eye contact. Head hanging, his eyes were somehow darker as he glanced towards Kronx apologetically. Unfurling his wings, he launched into the air - doing everything he could to avoid eye contact with Neira.

Confused, I glanced towards Kronx. What had just happened? Why had both dragons behaved so? Why was Neira so insistent on leaving?

But he gave nothing away as he watched the dark green dragoness disappear through the tunnel.

Sighing, I watched as Kaiya and Kodar started soaring away.

A flurry of red and gold streaked past me, racing after the dark green dragoness.

"Wait!" Rutilus roared, his voice echoing through the tunnel. Wide-eyed, I watched as the Kodar slowed to a halt, whilst Kaiya landed abruptly. Somewhere ahead, I could have sworn that Neira had slowed down, turning towards the red and gold drake impatiently.