Chapter 37

Slowly, gradually, the sun trailed towards the western horizon. Soon, the sun would set. Hopefully Raegon was right; hopefully we'd reach Fehïrk beforehand.

Not once had we spotted a human, which was rather strange, considering that we'd found so many among the mountain range where Kronx's den was. But I couldn't help but be grateful; if we did find humans, it would slow down the journey.

A low growl rumbled in my throat. I just wanted to arrive at Fehïrk, and flame it to the ground. Wipe out its human inhabitants, while saving the dragons there. The sooner it was over and done with, the sooner I could return to Kronx.

"Faster," I rasped, pumping my now heavy wings. Despite my training with Kronx, my wings were heavy, and I was breathing heavily - the result of such a long journey. Soon, whether we came across Fehïrk or not, we would need to stop and rest. Perhaps if we flew faster, we were more likely to reach it sooner. "Go faster." 

Rutilus glared at me. His eyes were glazed as he focused on beating his wings, one at a time, as we flew across the sky. Curling his lips, he revealed his fangs. I did not have to ask him to know that he didn't want to go any faster.

"No,"  the black dragon panted, not even bothering to glance around at me. "No point."

I grumbled in irritation. He was the one that insisted that we leave sooner rather than later - why wouldn't he want us to go faster? "Why not?"

"Look straight ahead," Raegon prompted. "Look carefully. Surely you recognise it?"

Straining my eyes, I stared straight ahead. In the distance, I could make out a building, with smaller buildings scattered around it. Surrounding them, were the familiar desolate fields I'd worked in most of my life.

Once, I'd thought them to be big. But from the air, and especially further away.. they were small. Tiny. So insignificant, compared to the monstrous mountains I'd lived among for the past few months.

"Fehïrk," I muttered, glaring at the place I had lived in for twenty years. At the place where the chances of a hatchling surviving to adulthood were minuscule. But I had, and with the help of a human, I'd escaped from.

Smoke coiled from my nostrils.

Suddenly, no longer exhausted, Rutilus raced forwards. "Let's go!" He cried out enthusiastically, more than eager to attack Fehïrk.

"Are you mad?" Raegon roared, staring after the red and gold drake furiously. Shocked by the Black Beast's sudden wrath, Rutilus slowed down, his excitement ebbing away rapidly. Snapping his fangs, the Black Beast hissed, "never rush off to battle. Especially if you've been flying the entire day."

Rutilus lowered his head. "So we rest?"

But the black dragon did not reply. Instead, he flicked his tail, beckoning for us to to follow him. Tucking my wings against my flank, I did not hesitate as I swooped down through the air behind Raegon.

Within a matter of seconds, he slowed down, before landing in a clearing beside a creek. It was a small clearing; our scales scraped against each others. Grunting, the black dragon settled to the ground, his metallic grey eyes darting from Rutilus to myself.

"Try to hide yourself within the forest. Neither of you have scales dark enough to keep you hidden," he explained, specifically holding Rutilus's gaze.

Peering behind me, I examined the trees. There were fairly large gaps between each tree, which I might just fit into. Folding my wings even closer to my flank, I slowly retreated into the forest. Sticks poked at my scales, scratching at me in a more annoying manner. Cracking under my talons, dried leaves and sticks snapped.

Finally satisfied that I'd retreated far enough into the bush, I turned back towards the Black Beast. "So tomorrow, we'll hunt first?"

"Yes," Raegon answered, watching as Rutilus tried to push himself into the bush. He chuckled, a deep reverberating sound, as the red and gold drake hissed, snapping his fangs at a tree beside him in annoyance.

"Would it be worth waiting the day and attacking at night, when the humans are at their weakest?" I questioned, eager to form a plan for tomorrow. Soon enough, I'd be following that plan, and revenge would at last be mine.

"The dragons will be in the Dragon Stables - which as you know as well as I do is strong enough to resist dragons slamming against it," the black dragon reasoned quietly, his voice colder than normal. "Fire won't work either."

My wings sagged. We'd have no choice but to attack during the day if we wanted to free the dragons as well.

"Take them by surprise," Rutilus piped up, finally settled among the trees. "Most of the humans won't be quite as alert as normal in the morning. Attack them as soon as possible, once all the dragons are out on the field."

The Black Beast dipped his head. "Possible... but don't attack straight away. Confuse them."

Curious, I tilted my head. "What do you mean?"

"You'll see," Raegon murmured. I could have sworn that his metallic eyes twinkled in amusement. Exhaling slowly, he glanced between Rutilus and I. "We'll be getting up early tomorrow, to hunt. You'd be wise to sleep. I'll keep watch."

"But your just as tired as we are - if not more," Rutilus protested immediately. "I will keep watch."

The Black Beast did not respond.

Resting my head on my talons, I was vaguely aware of the black dragon stretching his wings, before relaxing - presumably allowing the red and gold drake to stand guard while he slept.

But I could not sleep. Tomorrow - tomorrow I'd finally be attacking Fehïrk, saving dragons whom I'd known most my life. Just like I'd promised Lord Raffael I'd do when he set us free. The very thing that Kronx had pleaded that we did not do.

A long exhale escaped me. Kronx. By now, he would have noticed our departure. How easy it was to imagine him blearily waking up, to discover that Raegon, Rutilus and I had disappeared. The confusion he must have felt; the betrayal, the anger, and disappointment when he realised where we'd gone. But other than that... I did not know what he'd do. I doubted that he'd stay at his mountain, with the humans having found it. Probably making his way to the island he'd told us about yesterday, on his own.

Perhaps that was where I'd find him, in several days time. First, I needed to free the dragons at Fehïrk. Needed to to burn the place to the ground, whilst initiating fear in the hearts of the humans. After all, I was no mindless beast for them to control. No, I was a dragon.

And tomorrow, I'd remind them just that.

*~*

1144 words

Next chapter will be out tomorrow.

Please do drop a vote if you enjoyed! All votes and comments are very much appreciated.