Chapter 31

"Kaiya," I gasped, immediately recognising the golden dragoness. Not once did she hesitate as she attacked the larger dragon. All to easily, the Black Beast shook her off his scales. Yet as I watched, I could have sworn that his grey eyes softened in relief.

But the golden dragoness didn't, instead retreating behind me. Her amethyst eyes shone defiantly as she hissed, "he was going to attack you! I had to do something!"

"I... Thank you," I dipped my head, holding her gaze gratefully. As much as I wanted to have seen Master's reaction to my fire, she had just prevented the Black Beast from attacking me. Had she not, I would have had no choice but to hurt the massive black dragon whom had done everything he could to help me escape.

Master grumbled furiously.

Narrowing my eyes, I glanced at him. His bushy eyebrows were furrowed, almost covering his black eyes as his gaze darted between Kaiya and myself. Scrutinising both of us, as though he was trying to figure something out.

A shudder ran down my spine as a wicked smile spread across his weathered face. The straps connected to the Black Beast's tail fin ring swayed as Master dug his heels into the dragon's black flank.

Reluctantly, the Black Beast drifted closer to me, knowing exactly what Master wanted. Knowing that he had to do just that.

We'd have no choice but to fight.

Never had I ever dreamed of fighting the Black Beast. He was so big and... dangerous. His temperament was enough to make another dragon feel uneasy, let alone the fact that he loomed high above every other dragon I'd come across — aside from Kronx.

Yet there was no other option but to fight the same dragon that had done what he could to help me escape.

Reluctantly, I sized up the bigger dragon. Perhaps it would be a quick battle. A battle that I could easily win, without either of us receiving major injuries. After all, for the past few months, he had been starved and tortured, while I'd had a proper diet - and had been able to train. As massive as the Black Beast was, perhaps I would be able to stand a chance.

Especially if Kaiya was fighting beside me.

"Aim for the human," I hissed at her urgently. "But do not kill him."

The golden dragoness blinked in surprise, confusion lighting her amethyst eyes for a brief moment. But she did not question me as she whirled towards the black dragon, carefully observing him. Watching every movement he made, from the soft beating of his wings, or the way his tail coiled back and forth.

"Hurry up!" Master roared on top of the Black Beast's back, pressing down on the straps that controlled the dragon's fin ring on his tail. With a suffocated cry, the big black drake lunged towards us.

Screeching furiously, I ducked down, narrowly avoiding the bigger dragon. My wings brushed against his scarred and rugged flank. Master scowled, his black eyes burning with fury and hatred.

The Black Beast turned towards me as Master roared a command. But this time, I was ready. Eyes locked on Master, I lunged towards the black dragon before he had so much as a chance to try to attack me. Despite his surprised grunt, he did not to stop me as I slammed into his flank, my claws digging into his scales as I hauled myself closer to Master.

"Careful," the Black Beast warned as he pulled himself higher into the air. Flaring my wings, I gripped onto his flank not daring to let go. Not when I was so close to snatching Master of the drake's back!

Something sharp prodded my wing – the one I'd accidently waved directly in front of Master to keep myself balanced. I froze, eyes darting towards the human as the pain trailed further down my wing.

Instincts locked into place as I automatically snapped my wings against my flank. Snarling at the human furiously, I pushed myself away from the Black Beast. Pain sliced through my wing with each beat.

Its just a cut, I snarled mentally, examining the wound from the corner of my eye. Blood dribbled down my wing, but there was no denying that it was just a small cut – that wasn't too deep.

But small or no, it would sting every time I went flying.

Narrowing my eyes, I glared at Master.

Golden scales glittered behind him, immediately drawing my attention. Amethyst eyes trained on Master, Kaiya was finally ready to join the fight. Ready to snatch the human from the Black Beast's back.

Relief shot through me. Master would be snatched into her claws, and the Black Beast would be free at last. Perhaps he knew more about what had happened to Soriak – whether she'd been tortured or killed.

Realising that I was no longer looking at him, Master peered behind him. The blood drained from his face, whitening in horror. Clumsily, his heels fiddled with the straps that controlled the black dragon's tail fin ring.

Satisfaction rolled through me in waves. Long had I dreamed the day that Master would fear for his life, knowing that impending doom was coming - and unable to do anything about it.

Finally, that day had come. There he was, perched on the Black Beast's back, slapping the dragon in a desperate attempt to make him move. Yet his efforts did next to nothing; the black drake remained hovering in the air unsteadily, fighting to stay where he was. Fighting for his own freedom.

"Stupid beast," Master snarled, no longer thrashing frantically. Not trying to get the big black dragon because...

A shadow fell over us.

Instinctively, I peered up at the dragon. An amber drake, whom appeared to be twice my size. Yet just like the other dragons, his scales were scarred, his flank matted. Each of his ribs were outlined against his flank. And, perched on his back, was another human.

My heart fell. How many more dragons were there? Before, I had been confident that we could beat the Black Beast. But now... I couldn't help wonder if that would really be the case. There could easily be more dragons, waiting to join the fight.

Abruptly, the amber dragon swerved down, shooting towards Kaiya.

"Behind you!" I screeched a warning to the golden dragoness. She slowed down, amethyst eyes searching the sky before -

Thud.

Kaiya yelped, feebly pushing the amber drake away from her. No longer was she swooping towards Master, but falling. Plummeting down towards the ground at a dangerous speed. Anxious, I watched as both dragons attempted to spread their wings and catch the wind.

Behind me, Black Beast snarled, "Go. Go while you can."

"I can't!" I shook my head, reluctantly adverting my gaze away from the two falling dragons. The black dragon was staring at me, holding my gaze pleadingly. "She chose to fight. Chose to help me. I can't just leave her."

On his back, Master roared another command. Growling softly, the Black Beast lashed his tail – still trying to resist the human on his back. Trying to stay in the air, without attacking me.

"Go now," his grey eyes were dark pain. "Your friend is fine." He flicked his black tail towards Kaiya. Sure enough, she was no longer falling – instead rising into the air whilst shrieking a challenge to the amber dragon beneath her.

"But what about you?" I protested, not wanting to leave the black dragon at the hands of humans again. Not now, when I was faster and stronger than I had been before!

The Black Beast snapped his fangs together. "Leave me!" 

*~*

1278 words

Not the best chapter - I'm not completely happy with it despite rewriting it at least twice during the week. :/ 

The following week, I'll be a little bit busy due to numerous exams and a few assessments - but Chapter 32 should be up by the end of the week. 

On the bright side, the holidays are rapidly approaching, so I'll be able to update more then. :)

Vote and comment if you enjoyed!

Thanks! :D