Chapter 16

Gleaming eyes watched me as I twisted around a mountain's peak, before diving down. Nearly a week had passed, and not once had Kronx mentioned anything about Dragon Kings, imperials or anything else he started to touch on on our first lesson. Instead, he had remained silent, only speaking when he deemed it necessary.

Most of the time, his words were vague.

"Tuck in your wing a little more," the giant dragon's voice echoed through the mountain range, his silver eyes still watching me intently. Ever since the first lesson, the only thing he had really taught us was to aid our skills in flight - which was good if I were going to remain out of the humans' reach.

Obediently, I did so. Below me, the ground dropped lower, and lower. So close that I could easily count the leaves of a few plants at the base of the mountain. Instead, I fell a little more, before flaring my wings and skimming over the ground triumphantly before slowing to a halt. "Was that good?"

Kronx held my gaze firmly. "It was better."

But not good enough. I could see the unspoken words in his eyes as he regarded me silently. Finally, he turned his attention onto the bright red drake beside him. Almost immediately, Rutilus shrank away.

"Your turn," the dark blue drake snorted, gesturing towards the mountain with his head. Patiently, he continued to stare at Rutilus, whom shuffled nervously. "Same course as normal. Climb into the air, circle the mountain top, before diving back down here."

With an anxious glance towards me, the red drake spread his wings. A week ago, his bright red wings had been dappled with only a few small, golden spots. Now, there was much more gold splattered across each wing.

Determination suddenly filling his molten gold eyes, the bright red drake launched into the air. With long strokes, he graciously pulled himself higher and higher into the air, until he was level with the mountain's tip. Another beat of his wings had him flinging towards the mountain, circling it so close that his wings almost brushed against the dark, cold stone.

Beside me, Kronx examined Rutilus carefully, and grunted in approval. He did not say a word, instead watching as the red dragon swept down almost vertically towards us, only flaring his wings at the last second.

"Not bad," the dark blue dragon murmured, even as his gaze swung towards me. "You can go. Again."

Knowing there was no point in arguing, I braced myself, slowly spreading my wings. With a snarl, I leapt into the air, each wing beat forceful. I doubted that my wing beats looked anywhere near as graceful as Rutilus's did, but that did not matter. Fast and forceful lifted me into the air faster.

Finally, I reached the mountain's peak and swung around it. Close enough that I could have sworn that my wing tip touched the cold stone. What would Kronx think of that? Almost anxiously, I twisted around the rest of the way.

Tucking my wings tightly against my flank, I leaned forwards, pushing myself down towards Kronx and Rutilus. Diving down had always been one of my strengths. How easy and effortless it was! Even Kronx had praised me for that the first time, but now... that wasn't what he was wanting.

I risked a glance towards the dark blue dragon, even if only to see what he was thinking. But... he wasn't there. Nor was Rutilus. Blinking, I made sure that it was not a trick of my mind. It was not - they were gone. Alarm filled me, and I flared my wings, using my momentum to pull me higher into the air once more. My gaze raked over every section in the sky, as well as roving over each mountain.

Two dots glittered in the eastern sky, one dark and one red. But it was not relief I felt - it was even more worry. Both seemed so far away. Did I really take that long? Disappointment welled within me; I had thought that that had been one of my fastest times. Clearly that was not as fast as it should be.

I drew my fangs back in a silent snarl. Little did I know what the drakes were doing, but I was not going to wait for them to come back. If I was so slow, then I'd prove to both of them that I could be fast. I'd catch up to them.

Not wasting a second, I flung myself after the two dragons. Both wings were tucked towards me, only spread enough to remain at the same level. Not daring to look anywhere but the two glittering dots far ahead of me, I glided through the air. Only occasionally did I beat my wings.

Wind carried me closer. The two dots were slowly turning into the shapes of dragons. Fast, yes, I was fast. Kronx and Rutilus may be fast as well, but... I was faster. Renewed determination washed through me, and I effortlessly soared through the air, faster than every before.

Effortless.

Suddenly, I realised the mistake I had been making in every single exercise that Kronx made me do. I had always assumed that to be fast, I had to be forceful and beat my wings quickly. Even mimicking his techniques was forceful.

But flying was never supposed to be forceful. Sure, flying fast required certain techniques such as a completely straight body and as little air resistance possible... but not vigorous. No, each wing beat had to be steady, and I would have to use the wind to carry me through the air.

Fast; I was fast. Swift, nimble, and quick.

Kronx had always pointed out that my wings were larger than most other dragons. Which meant that I could be faster than most of them. With that in mind, I raced effortlessly though the sky, rapidly closing the distance between the dragons ahead of me, and myself.

Wind roared past me, carrying me closer to Rutilus and Kronx. It was only a matter of seconds before I was able to fly alongside them and slow down.

"Why didn't you tell me that flight is effortless?" I questioned, taking pleasure as both drakes eyes me with surprise. Rutilus's golden eyes brightened, pleased that I had caught up. Even Kronx's silver eyes glowed faintly, although he looked more amused than anything else.

"Because that is something you need to figure out for yourself," was his simple response. As always, his voice showed little emotion. But I could have sworn that I head a hint of pride in his deep, sonorous voice. "Copying my technique did help you with speed, but you needed to find your own. All dragons have a slightly different style when it comes down to flight."

"Oh," I murmured, glancing towards Rutilus. "How long did it take you to figure yours out? Was it two days ago, when-"

"Yes," the red drake confirmed proudly. Molten eyes gleamed brighter, before turning towards the dark blue dragon "What now?"

"We hunt. Then we rest," Kronx slowed down even more, his eyes running over both of us seriously. "I'll admit it, you both found your flight style relatively fast. But there is still a lot more you both need to know - most of which is much harder."

I exhaled slowly. A lot more to learn... that meant that rescuing the dragons back at Fehïrk would be ages away. How I yearned to save the dragons now, and end their suffering! I could bare seeing their faces in my dreams, begging for my help - or the thought of them still being tortured.

But... ages away!

"At least we have flight under our wing," Rutilus pointed out, seeming to realise what I was thinking. When I glanced at him, his gold eyes were dark with promise. "Whether it be today, tomorrow, or ten years, we will rescue them."

As though there was no other option, I agreed, "of course."

*~*

1329 words

Hope you guys enjoyed! I've nearly finished my competition entry for tomorrow - I think I'll swap the first three chapters to them, and add a few more where there are gaps. There will be a few changes, but nothing that will drastically change the new version's story line.

I know it has been a while since an update - Thank you for waiting so patiently! Hopefully the next one should be out much sooner.