Chapter 49

Water still lapped at my scales when I awoke. Shaking droplets of water off my head, I craned my neck, peering across the cave. Several dragons were asleep, both draped across the stone and sprawled out through the water. Off to the side, other dragons murmured to each other quietly, trying not to wake anyone up.

But I could not help but some dragons were not to be seen - including Rutilus. Had they gone off to hunt?

"If humans hadn't found it, I'd be happy to stay here," Soriak sighed, her tail coiling back and forth. Surprised, I glanced at her - realising that she was among the conversing dragons. Despite resting in the water, it was obvious that she was listening to the conversation, every so often adding a remark. "But now that they have, all I can think about is them returning and finding us here."

"We won't be here for long," the turquoise dragoness reminded her, yellow-green eyes darting towards Kronx. But despite her words, a long sigh escaped her. Whether she agreed with Soriak, or was reluctant to leave the cave, I did not know.

Before anyone could reply, a heavy set of wing beats echoed through the cavern as a bronze dragon appeared at the entrance. "Alyeth," he called, his green eyes locking on the bronze dragoness.

Surprise filled the dragoness's soft voice."Its dawn already?"

The bronze drake dipped his head.

"Then I will hunt," Alyeth declared as she raised her wings, immediately launching through the tunnel. She only hesitated to say, "thank you, Ceros."

Hunt. Not a bad idea at all. I hadn't eaten last night, and now that I thought about it, I was hungry.

Rising to my feet, I flared my wings, shaking water droplets off my body. As nice as it would be to stay in the water, I also wanted to hunt. Flaring my wings, I leapt into the air, heading straight towards the tunnel. Soon, I'd be able to eat.

Shooting through the tunnel, I finally escaped its dark depths, before weaving between the mountains. Several other dragons soared through the sky, their scales glittering under the morning sun. Further ahead, I could see the turquoise dragoness, Alyeth, soaring straight towards the forests. Prey was bound to be plentiful in the forests.

Following her, I relaxed as a cool breeze swept past my wings, carrying me further forwards. Not too long now, before I filled my empty stomach.

"You're awake!" a drake cried with relief, and I twisted around just in time to spot Rutilus diving towards me urgently. Confused, I blinked at him. What did he want? Why couldn't he just leave me to hunt? After all, I was hungry.

Annoyed, I watched as slowed to a halt in front of me. His gold eyes shone brightly as though he was excited - but at the same time, his tail constantly flicked back and forth. He was worried. Anxious, perhaps.

Tearing my gaze away from the forest, I glanced towards Rutilus. Food could wait. But whatever had gotten on his nerves probably wouldn't wait. Curious, I tilted my head. "What is it?"

"Follow me," he instructed - my only answer. Before I could even try to ask another question, he was gone. Racing through the mountains, towards some secret location. Sighing, I quickly followed him, too curious to turn away.

What had caused Rutilus to respond as such? Why had he been so excited, but also so anxious? Surely if couldn't be too bad, if he was leading me towards it - which meant it wasn't the Dragon King, or even the humans.

So why was he so anxious?

Lost in thought, I almost didn't notice it when Rutilus slowed down. Almost. A massive shift in pace as he flared his wings, barely moving forwards.

Hovering in the air, I glanced at him curiously. "What is it?" I repeated the same question as earlier, but he still did not reply. Instead, his gaze seemed to be locked on something. Curious, I followed his gaze. And froze.

Heart stumbling, I forced myself to keep beating my wings, and stay aloft.

A dragon was perched on top of one of the mountains. From afar, it was harder to spot - its icy blue scales, which were a similar colour to Foruthe's, were almost invisible against the white snow.

But on its back was the unmistakable shape of a human.

I'd seen that human before. I could have recognised those sharp blue eyes anywhere - even if his dark hair was no longer down to his shoulders. A familiar silver sword was clipped to his belt, confirming my suspicious.

There was no denying who he was the lord whom had freed Rutilus and I.

"Lord Raffael," I murmured, exchanging a disbelieving glance at Rutilus.

"I knew you'd recognise me," he grinned at the mention of his name. Running his hands down the dragon's icy blue scales, he silently urged her closer to us - although not in an unkind way. Not like Master had ever done to me.

Eyes narrowing, I tilted my head. Why was he here? Had he come to find us? If so, why? We'd already fulfilled our promise to him - we'd saved all of the dragons at the place that had once been Fehïrk.

In the distance, I spotted a glimmer of dark blue heading straight towards us. Kronx was coming. I wasn't sure whether to be relieved or alarmed by his arrival. After all, Lord Raffael was a human - the human that had made us promise to save the dragons. Something that Kronx would rather us to not have done.

My tailed coiled back and forth as I awkwardly glanced back towards the human. He had strained his eyes, staring in the direction that Kronx was approaching. Obviously, he had not seen the approaching drake, for he head turned towards Rutilus and I again.

"Congratulations on freeing the dragons," he smiled, a light shining in his ocean-blue eyes. Gesturing down at the dragoness he rode, he added, "this is Isaella. She-"

He was disrupted by a loud roar that echoed through the mountains as Kronx announced his arrival.

*~*

1031 words

Hope you enjoyed the chapter! The next one should be out soon. :)