Chapter 45

Craning my neck, I examined the only dragon in sight. More were bound to be coming, but maybe, just maybe, I might be able to take this one out on my own.

Covered in dark green scales, the drake was easy to spot against the cloudy sky. He flew beneath the grey clouds, but given that there was a human on his back, that didn't surprise me. Humans didn't like getting wet.

Bearing my fangs, I lunged towards him. The sooner the human on his back was killed, the sooner I'd be able to hide from the plentiful humans that were surely on their way.

But the drake did not so much as flinch from my snarl. Instead, he snapped his fangs with a yellow eyes searing me even from afar. Did he not realise that I'd set him free?

I'd have to try to kill the human on his back very quickly.

My gaze shifted towards the human. Heart stumbling, I faltered.

A familiar hunched form. Ridiculously bushy eyebrows almost covering his bleak, black eyes. The weathered skin, covered in scars. There was no denying who he was. I could have recognised him anywhere.

Master.

Growling softly, I glared at him. Remembering when he'd tortured me at Fehïrk, and when I'd been so close to killing him in Kronx's mountains. Had it not been for that pesky amber dragon, he'd be dead.

Narrowing my eyes, I glared at him. This time, you will die.

A silent promise.

But Master did not seem the slightest bit concerned. Instantly recognising me, his lips twisted into a small, but by no means pleasant smile. His posture stiffened, but he clasped his hands together. Releasing the chains.

Did he not realise what he'd done? Now the dragon could turn on him, and it would be easier to kill him! Wings slicing through the air, I waited for the green drake to whip his head around, and snap at the human on his back.

But he didn't.

Did he not realise that Master had released the chains? Confused I stared at him, waiting for realisation to dawn on him... yet he just kept diving forwards, his yellow eyes locked on my throat.

"Master isn't controlling you!" I exclaimed, hoping that maybe if I told him, he'd slow down and realise that Master wasn't holding the chains. That he'd immediately attack the human.

"I know," the drake's reply was cold, sending shivers down my spine. With no explanation, he lunged forwards, snapping at my throat.

Jerking back, I barely dodged the dark green dragon. Lashing my claws back, I feebly attempted to push him away. Shooting fire from my jaws, I tucked my wings against my flank, diving down towards the forest.

"Are you scared?" that cold voice hissed in my hear. Growling quietly, I narrowed my eyes. Scared? Of course not. He was the one who should be scared. I'd been free for a few months, while he'd been starved and malnourished.

Even if he wanted a fight unlike any other dragon I'd fought, I'd still beat him. Months of training had me flying faster than him, and the battle a couple of days ago when I helped set the dragons free had helped me become used to fighting dragons.

Faint satisfaction filled me as my tail slammed into his flank. He grunted from the impact, but that did not stop him from following me down.

Talons scratched at my shoulder. Hastily, I veered away, climbing higher back into the air. Heavy wing beats sounded behind me, my only warning that he was following.