Chapter 47

Landing in front of the cave, I snorted as I spotted dragons huddling on top of each other, trying to hide in its dark depths. Not one of them looked the slightest bit comfortable.

"You're back!" Adoria exclaimed happily, her voice dripping with relief.

"Are the humans still nearby?" Another dragon questioned. This time, I could not tell who it was - their voice was quiet, and muffled.

"I don't know," I admitted truthfully - no point getting their hopes up and telling them that the humans had left, when they could still be in the area. "We led them away, but they might come back."

A shocked gasp echoed through the cave. Adoria's eyes were wide, flashing with hints of fury. Climbing towards us, she halted in front of Rutilus, easily towering over him. Nostrils flared, she hissed,"You led them away? You mean, you confronted them? Have you not learned how idiotic that is?"

The red and gold drake cringed away, hanging his head shamefully. Not trying to defend himself against his mother's wrath. Would she still be just as angry if he did - or did he think that she was correct? 

An awkward silence settled over the cave as no dragon dared speak. Most of them fidgeted awkwardly, although none were willing to exit the cave with humans near by.

If Adoria was aware of their discomfort, she did not show it. Instead, she stared down at Rutilus, her yellow eyes now narrowed. "Why did you -"

"He saved me," I blurted, interrupting her. She stiffened, swinging her head towards me slowly. "Had he not confronted Thanatos then, I would have been captured." Just the mere memory of the dark green drake forcing me to stay still on the ground sent a shudder down my back - and that was without the image of Master prancing towards me slyly, holding chains.

She blinked, grunting with satisfaction.

"Thanatos, you say?" a sonorous voice rumbled. Kronx.

Whipping my head around, I glimpsed the dark blue drake draped against a cave wall. Numerous dragons were huddled around him, but if he was uncomfortable, he did not show it as he stared into my eyes urgently.

Confused, I dipped my head.

Even Rutilus peered up at the Kronx curiously. "Why? Do... You you know him?"

He did not answer, instead staring into the distance as though troubled.

What was he so worked up about? We already knew of his hate towards other dragons. Maybe that was what Kronx was worried about. But somehow, I knew it was not. I knew that there was something deeper. There was no other reason that he'd be so worked up.

Alarmed, I exchanged a glance with Rutilus.

"Who's Thanatos?" Caelum chirped beside me, her dark blue eyes shining curiously. More confused than scared, despite Kronx's reaction.

Rutilus hesitated for a split second before saying, "A strange dark green drake who willingly follows the humans. He... He hates us. Other dragons." Subconsciously, tucked his injured foreleg behind his other. 

Silence rang through the cave, as each dragon tired to comprehend that a dragon would want to do what a human said. Who wouldn't even hesitate before slitting our throats.

I glanced back towards Kronx. His stormy silver eyes were dark, but still unreadable as he stared into the distance. As though sensing my gaze, he snorted, swinging his head towards me. "You need not worry. Although he can be quite... ferocious, he's not that fast when it comes down to flying."

Dragons murmured to each other quietly, seeming to have relaxed ever so slightly. I knew better. None of them could truly relax in a small cave so full of dragons. Knowing that humans were somewhere nearby, searching for them.

"Kronx," a hoarse voice grunted. Curious, I twisted around to see Foruthe watching the dark blue dragon closely. Waiting for a response. "Unless there are any other obligations, I'd like to go back. Go home."

The dark blue drake glanced in my direction for a split second, before sighing. "Your debt has been paid," he agreed, blinking slowly. "You are free to go if you wish."

Icy blue scales glittered as the wyvern dipped his head. Lurching forwards, he climbed carefully over other dragons, gradually making progress towards the exit. Dragons turned around, watching him curiously, but Foruthe ignored them.

Cold air brushed against my scales as he went past. Only once he reached the gaping hole that was the cave entrance and exit did he finally paused. Slowly, he swung his around, his dark blue gaze resting on me.

"My debt has been payed," he murmured, repeating Kronx's words.

I couldn't help but wonder why he had had a debt. Curious, I watched both the drake and the wyvern, but neither gave anything away. I'd have to ask Kronx later. When there were less dragons around.

Flaring his wings, Foruthe balanced on his hind-legs, tail poised carefully for balance.

"Wait," Kronx stated, watching the wyvern carefully. "If you'd rather fly among the safety of a group, wait until tomorrow."

Confused, I turned towards Kronx. What did he mean, among the safety of a group? Was he going to send a few dragons out to help him get back to Kronx's mountain range, or were we all going?

Not the latter, I decided. There was no way I'd leave Soriak here by herself. Even if no one else did, I'd stay here with her. I was not about to abandon, and sacrifice her to the humans. Not again.

"No. I'll go on my own," the wyvern declared softly. His gaze raked across the cave, before he dipped his head towards Soriak. "Don't leave her behind for me."

"We won't be leaving Soriak behind," Kronx rumbled, his silver eyes shimmering with faint amusement. No longer as dark and stormy as they had been only a matter of minutes ago. "Her wings are almost healed. She won't be able to fly fast or far, but she'll be able to fly."

My heart leapt joyfully. At last, my friend could return to the skies! They had healed extremely quick, even with the help of the fire. A week ago, her wings had been broken, and her membrane torn. Now, the membrane was starting to grow back - softer and weaker than normal, but would grow stronger over time.

As though to prove Kronx's point, she flared her wings. Not so much as wincing or yelping in pain.  I could see all the places the membrane had torn; scars that were now going to last a long time.

But her wings were functional, and she could return to the sky.

"We'll be going back to my cave anyway," Kronx continued, watching the wyvern carefully. "No more than a night, of course. But we'll still be going there."

Foruthe hesitated. He glance up at the still over-cast sky, before turning away from it reluctantly. "Very well," he decided, with a long sigh. "I'll come with you."

*~*

1158 words

Please do drop a vote if you enjoyed! All comments are appreciated. :)