Chapter 7

Hours slipped by. I fidgeted nervously, my scales scraping against cold stone. It was similar to the Dragon Stables I normally slept in, but different. Worse. Here, the other four dragons shared the cell with me.

Thankfully, the humans had taken Black Beast's size into account, and given us one of the largest cells. Nonetheless, we couldn't move without disturbing another, and we were all too uncomfortable to rest. I had thought Lord Raffael was different, but obviously not.

Unlike the Dragon Stables, there was no food. Humans had come in a few hours earlier and hand-fed us pitiful scraps. How they could do that without worrying that we'd bite their hands off, I didn't know. Perhaps they felt safe because they were escorted by several guards, each of them armed heavily.

Nor was there any water.

Even the bucket of filthy water that I was accustomed to was better than none.

A day since I had last sipped water, my throat burned ferociously. It was almost as though there was a fire within me, scorching my insides. While, it was currently tolerable, there would only be so many more hours before the burn would become impossible to ignore.

Water. I needed water. As much as I desired more food, fresh food, I needed water. There was no way I'd be able to make the journey back, or even start flying with that horrendous scorching in my throat.

My heart skipped a beat when the metal door was flung open and light poured into the cell. Twisting my head towards the entrance, one human stood before us. Lord Raffael. Why would the lord come to get us on his own?

Unease filled me as I prepared myself to receive for the human's command. As I suspected, now his true colours were coming out.

The lord stared at us, his blue eyes bright with purpose. "Come on," he commanded quietly. "I don't have the time to wait while you dawdle." Impatiently, he moved away from the door, allowing us to exit slowly.

The red drake, being closest to the cell door exited first, immediately stretching himself in relief. Jealousy coursed through me as I watched him, longing to do that myself. Hastily, the other two dragonesses followed after him, leaving the Black Beast and myself.

Lord Raffael folded his arms, his dark brow furrowed in a scowl. "Hurry up!"

Not daring to glance at the Black Beast, I slunk out of the cell, flaring my wings the moment I had more space. Instinctively, I arched my back, and my talons scraped against the cold, stone floor. But I did not care, content to finally have some space to myself.

"SHHH!" implored Lord Raffael.

The lord was far from content. Quietly pushing door shut the moment Black Beast was out, he rushed ahead of us, walking much faster than I thought a human could. It was impossible not to notice his hunched shoulders, and the way he kept running a hand through his hair every so often. He was nervous. But why would a lord be nervous?

Confused, I scurried after him. Fear coiled in my stomach, growing stronger with each rapid step. The black walls around me passed with a blur, as well as the small flames flickering on the wall to allow the humans to see.

Finally, sunlight gleamed ahead of us, rapidly approaching. The corridor broadened, now lined with guards whose weapons were drawn - and pointed at us.

"Halt," a bored voice commanded, and Lord Raffael did so immediately. A soldier stepped out of the shadows, appearing to be no different than any of the others beside him. "Your identity please, sir. And an explanation of why you need those dragons."