Chapter 34

Tearing at the flesh of the deer, I devoured it hastily. Even after months of being free, the taste of fresh meat was still mouth-watering. I doubted I'd ever tire of the taste of fresh meat.

A shadow fell over me.

Blood dripped from my jaws as I peered up at the Black Beast. Scars and wounds were scattered across his flank, but the blood had been cleaned off. His metallic grey eyes were brighter than they had been yesterday. No longer did he look quite so tired or drained. A proper meal and a long rest had done him well.

"Kronx has no intention of saving the other dragons, does he?" Reagon suddenly rumbled, probing my gaze.

I lowered my gaze. "No... He deems it too risky, too dangerous."

The black dragon did not reply immediately. He stared into the sky. Pain pierced his clouded gaze, as well as hints of anger. "Kronx is right," he declared, jolting himself out of his trance. His tail coiled back and forth, talons digging into the earth. "I was captured whilst trying to rescue some dragons."

Astonished, I stared at the black dragon in shock. Was he suggesting that we did not go back and save the other dragons? Try to ignore the fact that whilst we were free, they were hauling coal across the fields, gradually being tortured, one by one. I bared my teeth. "But we can't just leave them there!"

"No. We can't. We won't," Raegon drew a breath, his own gaze hardening with resolve.

Wingbeats thudded in the distance, rapidly coming closer. Glancing into the sky, I realised that it was Rutilus streaking towards us, his gold eyes gleaming curiously as his gaze darted from the half-eaten deer at my talons, to myself and then to the Black Beast.

"What are you suggesting?" I turned back towards the black dragon, suddenly hopeful. My heartbeat quickened, thrumming against my ribs as I awaited his answer. Was he offering us a chance to rescue the other dragons?

Reagon watched Rutilus land beside me, before his gaze shifted towards me. "Soriak's alive. As we speak, she is being tortured, but for now, she is alive," he informed me, his voice growing softer. "But she may not be for much longer."

I stared at the black dragon. Soriak was alive. Relief flooded me. I could still go back and save her. Help repay the debt I'd owed her every since she'd given up her freedom - and potentially even her life for our freedom. She was alive.

But that meant... that in all of these months, she had been tortured. Been forced to endure endless pain, barely able to hang onto her life. My heart sunk, and my stomach churned uneasily. A strangled cry escaped me. She was alive, but tortured. Most likely endured more pain than the Black Beast had.

"She... She's alive?" Rutilus stammered, my own horror reflected in his eyes.

"Perhaps not for much longer," Raegon repeated, his tail coilding as he paced around the clearing. His wings tightened against his flank, and each step left heavy imprints in the soil. Yet he still kept his head high, contemplating something as he stared into the distance. 

The Black Beast halted. Nostrils flaring, he turned towards us, his breathing harsh. "You wish to save Soriak, and the other dragons," he stated, scrutinising us both carefully. Watching our reactions. Hatred thickened his rumbling voice."You have a choice. Stay here with Kronx, or come with me. Together, we'll destroy everything that Fehïrk ever was." 

He made it sound so easy. Go with him, and have my revenge on the humans. Save the other dragons. Everything that I'd ever wanted since escaping - aside from wishing that the humans stopped searching from us. 

But as he'd clearly stated, we'd have to leave Kronx. Doubt churned in my stomach. Could I really just turn my back on the dragon who'd taught us everything? He'd spent months helping us, only demanding that we did not go after the humans for revenge in return. 

We were always going to go back, I reminded myself. Yet I could not simply ignore Kronx, and leave him so abruptly after what he'd done for me. Instinctively, I glanced across the sky, checking for the bigger dragon. 

I could not see him. 

"Can we go later?" My gaze darted towards the black dragon. Shuffling impatient, his heavy gaze darted from Rutilus to I, his eyes growing darker. He did not like our hesitation, but he dared not break the silence. 

Raegon's head jerked towards me. His jaws snapped together with an audible click. Nostrils flared, he breathed heavily. After months of being around Kronx, and being able to breath fire, it was strange not seeing smoke coiling from his jaws - or nostrils. 

"Soriak will not survive much longer," he growled the reminder, his metallic grey eyes staring down at mine. "You wait, and you increase the chances of her dying before we get there." 

"W-we'll go," Rutilus stuttered quietly. Head hanging low, it was clear that he was not completely convinced. Wanted to save the other dragons and have his revenge, but did not want to leave Kronx. The Black Beast whirled around to face him, surprised. 

For a few moments, both drakes held each other's gazes. Then, Rutilus raised his head higher, straightening himself. His wings tightened against his flank, and his talons dug into the ground. This time even louder, he repeated, "I will go."

"Rutilus..." I shook my head, wings sagging. Avoiding both drake's gazes, I stared down at the forgotten deer carcass at my talons. Whereas minutes ago I had been savouring its taste, it was no longer appealing. Instead, a heavy feeling in my stomach replaced whatever hunger I'd felt. Uneasiness. Guilt. Pain. 

Snorting, I tossed the half-eaten carcass to the side.

Aware of both dragons watching me, I remained otherwise rooted to the spot. Heart fluttering with hope and longing, whilst my stomach churned with heavier emotions. Kronx had helped us. It was wrong to abandon him so quickly after everything he had done. 

Master's face flashed across my mind. Raegon was offering to help us do the very thing we'd wanted to do. Destroy the place that I'd been chained down to for twenty years. Free the other dragons, while I'd finally be the source of the fear that covered the humans' faces. 

"We can always come back," Rutilus prompted quietly, watching me closely. Hoping that I'd agree to come back. "Kronx won't like our decision, but we are not so helpless as we were when he found us. When we're done, we can return - and perhaps start thinking about the Dragon King that's been plaguing his mind." 

He was right. We could save the dragons, and then come back. As much as I didn't want to disobey the dragon whom taught me everything, I wanted to, needed to have my revenge on the humans. Save the dragons. Save Soriak, whom had already sacrificed her freedom for us. 

Slowly, I raised my head. Determination shot through me, hardening my resolve as I glanced from Rutilus's hopeful face, to Raegon. A deep breath shuddered across my flank as I declared,"Alright. I'll go with you." 

The Black Beast grunted in satisfaction. "Good. We'll leave tonight, when Kronx settles down for the night." 

Beside me, Rutilus brightened. Excitedly, he leapt into the air with an eager beat of his wings. Enviously, I watched him veer through the sky, wondering how he could so easily not worry about the fact that he was going against Kronx's command. 

Yet like it or not, there was little I could do. I had decided to save the dragons back at Fehïrk - seomthing I'd wanted to do anyways. 

I could only hope that Kronx would not be too upset by my decision. 

*~*

1269 words

Thank you for all the votes and comments! All are greatly appreciated! :D

What do you think? :D