Chapter Two - I'm Losing My Friends

Start from the beginning

"Hey, Riley." I ran over to her .

"What's up?"

"Is Ace okay? He's been acting strange about something but I don't know why. Did you guys get any test results back for him?"

"Nothing yet. They told us to go somewhere else because they couldn't figure it out. How hard is it to figure out if he has cancer?"

"Ace has cancer?" I swallowed hard. "Are you sure?"

"No, but that's the only explanation."

"Is that why he's upset?"

"I don't know, he kept crying on the way home but he just fell asleep after a while."

"Oh my gosh." I blinked in shock. Ace, crying? That never happens.

I was about to head out with my mum when I saw Ace and Riley together.

"Hey Ace," Riley said.

"Hey, are you okay?" Ace asked.

"Yeah..." She said trailing off. "Not really, no. I-I can't take this. I don't want this to happen to you, to anyone again. It hurt a lot when dad died. But now it's you... Why did this have to happen to you?"

"I don't know why this had to happen to dad or myself but, we can trust God through this right?"

"Yeah, we can." Riley said. "I don't want you to go."

Hearing how much Riley was hurting made me really sad.

When we got home, I stay in my room and cry.

Ace has always been there for me. He's been my best friend since day one. And I've never regretted it. Everything we've done together has been one adventure after another. We've been through ups and downs and he's always been there for me when I needed him most.

Why is he the one who gets this deadly disease?

When I got home, I sat in my room and called Mary Kate.

"Hey girl! What's up?" She asked.

"Just got back from the hospital..."

"I thought you didn't have to go back any more." She said confused.

"I don't, I went to go see Ace." I spoke quietly.

"Why? What happened?"

"I don't really want to talk about it." I huffed.

"Sorry," Mary Kate whispered.

"Do you ever get that time in life when you feel like you could die and the world would be better without you?"

"I guess, is that how you feel Camilla?" She asked.

"No, not really. I just don't want anyone to feel that way. Because the world is so different when someone dies or takes their life. Everyone is affected by their death."

"I hate talking about death,"

Mary Kate's mum died last year, in a car accident.

"Sorry, Mary Kate." I said softly.

"It's okay, I'm fine."

"So," I lingered awkwardly. "How's Jack been?"

"He's super nice," Mary Kate laughed. "We've been having a lot of fun together since we started hanging out."