Chapter Twenty-One

Saige smiled as Logan drove them back home from Saige's parents' house. They had spent Thanksgiving with them but left the dogs at home. It was a very good night for Saige because she met even more of her family that she hadn't seen since she was a child.

"You know you're beautiful when you smile." Logan said causing Saige to look at him.

"So, I'm not beautiful when I don't smile?" Saige asked making Logan smile.

"You're beautiful all the time. But, I love you seeing you smile."

"Well, right now, everything seems to be going better for me. Dusty's doing great and my parents are back in my life. I'm a good place. Life is just really good right now."

"I think I had a hand in that." Saige felt his hand wrap around her's.

The two of them finally got the house. All three dogs barked and wagged their tails inside of their kennels. They had taken a shower and then checked on Dusty downstairs. He was trying to use his legs, but he could barely stand up. Saige helped him outside with the help of a special thing that held up his back legs. The other dogs ran around the yard getting out their energy out before they went to bed. Saige watched as Dusty tried to use his legs, but he struggled too much.

"He's struggling too much to walk." Saige said as she looked back at Logan.

"The vet said it would be a while before he would walk on his own." Logan replied from where he stood. "Dusty's obviously trying to walk. We just need to give it time." Saige looked down at Dusty.

After he was finally able to go to the bathroom, Saige put him back into his room where he fell asleep. Saige changed into a sports bra and underwear and Logan stripped down to his briefs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Saige could hear Logan vlogging downstairs as she woke up. She slowly got out of bed and made her way down to Dusty's room. When she stood in the doorway, to her surprise, Dusty was sitting up with his legs out to the side.

"Logan, come here." Saige called. Logan walked up behind her.

"Wow, is he really sitting?" Logan asked. Saige nodded her head.

"This dog amazes me." Saige walked into his room and Dusty lifted his feet but couldn't move. She put his special sling on and helped him outside. Dusty tried his hardest to stand up but that didn't help either. "I'm gonna take the three dogs with me to work so I can keep an eye on him."

---------------------------------

When Saige arrived at work, there was a car sitting in the driveway. She walked in to see a couple at the desk. Saige put the three dogs in her office and then came back out.

"Saige, this couple is actually here because they think one of our dogs might be their lost dog." Victoria said as Saige walked behind the desk.

"Which dog are they thinking?" Saige replied as she looked at the file.

"Dozer the Lab mix. They saw the single white spot on his neck and they say their dog had the same spot." Saige looked up at the couple.

"We do require any kind of proof of ownership in case the dog does happen to be yours and if he has any special distinctions." Saige said. The guy gave Saige a vet visit paper and then a couple pictures of their dog, Buster, who look almost identical to Dozer. "How long has he been missing for?"

"He got out of our yard about two months ago." The guy replied.

"Okay, I'm going to have you wait in the room over there and I will bring him back. If he does happen to be your dog, all we ask is a fifty-dollar fee and the only reason we ask for that is because normally our adoption price is anywhere from 100 to 300 because of neutering, vet visits and other such fees."

The couple went into the room. Saige walked to the kennels and then walked back into the house. As soon as she walked into the room "Dozer" immediately recognized his family and pulled the leash from Saige's hand.

----------------------------------

After getting a text from Saige, Logan dropped everything he was doing and drove down to the shelter. He walked in and walked back to Saige's office. When he walked in, Saige lifted her head from her hands. Her eyes were red from crying.

"Babe, what's wrong?" Logan asked as he closed her door. She let out a deep breath. Saige then slid Dusty's collar across her desk.

"He started crying again and it just sounded like someone was killing him and he could barely even lift his head." Saige replied as she rubbed her face. "It was wrong of me to watch him suffer in pain just because I wanted him to get better and get his legs healed. He was just in too much pain and he gave me a pleading look."

"Why didn't you call me? I would've come."

"It just happened. I didn't want him to be in any more pain. It just needed to be done."

"And you came back to work after? Does everybody know?"

"They all know, but I needed something to get it off my mind before I put some of his stuff up." Logan walked over to Saige and squatted down beside her.

"Let's go home. You need to come home because I know how you're feeling and you can lose it at any moment...come on." Saige nodded her head and stood up with Logan. Sandy and Brodie followed them as they walked out to the cars.

-------------------------------------

Logan had already told Brendon, Evan, and Lydia about what had happened with Dusty on the ride home. Saige walked in the house followed by Logan and the dogs. She didn't waste any time and put everything of Dusty's away. She then sat on the couch. Brodie jumped on the couch and laid down on the couch, putting his head and front legs on her lap. Logan sat down beside Saige and immediately, she leaned against him.

"I knew it was going to happen." Saige said as Logan looked at her. She looked back at him. "He just suffering too much and he was whining too much."

"At least you were able to do it. Some people wouldn't be able to." Logan replied. Saige looked back down and rubbed Brodie's head. Brodie sat up and cuddled into Saige's chest and licked her face, making her smile.

"I think I'm going to take the dogs for a walk."

------------------------------------

Megan took the dogs on a walk throughout LA. She felt weird having three dogs and not four. While the other three walked ahead of her, Dusty always walked by her side. It was different with just Brodie, Sandy, and Kong.

After their hour walk, Saige got the dogs back into her car and drove back to the house. As she pulled into the driveway, felt all the emotion come flooding and the tears just came flooding out. She covered her face as the tears kept on coming.

She had finally calmed down and made her way back inside with the dogs. Logan looked up from the couch. He could see the Saige's eyes were red from crying. Logan stood up and followed her into the kitchen. He said something to her and Saige instantly started crying. Logan wrapped his arms around Saige's neck. She buried her face in his neck and hugged him back.

"I'm so sorry, I didn't mean for this to happen." Logan said as he felt his own tears threatening to spill. His hand grasped the back of her neck and he rubbed it with his thumb.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Saige ended up passing out from the stress shortly after she lay in bed. She woke up the next day to find Brodie as close to her as he could possibly get.

"Hey buddy." Saige said and was greeted by a wagging tail. Saige finally got out of bed and threw her hair into a messy ponytail. She threw on one of Logan's merch shirts and a pair of shorts. Saige made her way downstairs with Brodie following her.

"She's alive." Logan said as he came out of nowhere with the camera scaring Saige slightly.

"Damn it, Logan." Saige replied with a slight smile.

"Sorry, I had to." Logan sat the camera down and followed Saige into the kitchen. "Are you okay now?"

"Yeah, I'm okay. I just needed to let it out. I had Dusty for five years, so it was really hard for me."

"I do feel guilty, I mean it was partially my fault because I keep leaving the gate open." Saige looked at Logan and smirked making him smile.