Chapter Twenty- R.I.P Arya

(A/N: Warning, this chapter may cause quite a bit of sadness for you. Just a bit of a heads up.)

It was now almost 2:00 in the afternoon. Saige was sitting in the front room when she heard Lydia yelling at who she assumed was Logan. Saige walked outside to see Lydia very angry.

"What's going on?" Saige asked and then immediately she only saw Sandy and the front gate wide open.

"Kong ran off and the other two followed him." Lydia said, sounding very angry. Saige looked at Logan, but Logan had a slight smile on his face.

"Dusty and Brodie followed him? You know those two follow each other everywhere and the neighborhood is new. And I've told you to shut that damn gate a thousand times." Saige went into the house and grabbed the two dogs' leashes and walked with Lydia to find the dogs. Lydia came back into the gate with Kong and completely ignored Logan. But Saige hadn't come back yet and that made Logan nervous. A few minutes later, Brodie came running back into the yard and Saige followed him running into the yard.

"Saige, what's going on? Where is he?" Logan asked but Saige ignored him. She ran into the house and grabbed her keys. She came back out with her car keys and opened the door to her Tahoe. Brodie climbed into the car. "Seriously, what happened?" Saige ignored Logan and the Tahoe sped out of the driveway. Logan was very nervous and confused as to what was going on.

-------------------

About an hour later, after repeated attempts by Logan to call Saige, the front door opened. Everybody looked up as Saige walked in with Brodie but no Dusty.

"Is he okay?" Lydia asked causing Logan to look at her and then at Saige.

"What happened?" Logan asked.

"His two back legs are broken, and he barely escaped getting his back broken." Saige replied as she fought herself not to cry. "They're gonna put him through surgery to fix his legs and to fix a nasty cut he got on his spine. There's a good chance he may not walk again but they're gonna call me and let me know how it went."

Saige walked over to the couch and sat down. Logan let out a soft sigh and stood up then walked over to the couch. He sat down beside Saige.

"This is why we need to keep the gate shut." Saige said as she tried her hardest not to really go off. Logan was trying to figure out what to say without upsetting Saige.

"Babe, I'm so sorry." Logan said softly.

"Don't be sorry yet, there's still a chance he won't be able to walk." Saige stood up and walked away.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Saige's phone started ringing around 8:30 in the morning. She had been in bed while Logan was awake doing whatever he was doing.

"Hello?" Saige answered her phone.

"Saige, this is Dr. Howard, I am giving you a call in regards to Dusty." The vet receptionist said on the other end. "The surgery went really well and he's doing amazing. If you would like to come down to the clinic, we can discuss in person."

"Yes, I'll be leaving my house in maybe ten minutes." Saige hung up her phone and immediately started getting dressed. Logan, who was sitting on the couch, joined Saige so he could understand what happened exactly.

They sat in the vet examination room as they waited. It took about ten minutes for the vet to finally come in.

"What happened was, it looks like whoever hit him, hit his back end." The vet said as she showed them x-rays of the breaks. "His right back leg had a clean snap and the left leg was broken in a few places. So, we placed a metal rod in the leg to help heal." Saige's knee bounced up and down like crazy. Logan put his hand on Saige's to help calm her nerves. "As far as him walking, he can move his back legs and he has been trying to walk and I think with some extra help, he'll be able to walk again. But with the rod in his back leg, he'll have a slight limp for the rest of his life."