"If you want home I could tell your Uncle Roger to drop you off-"

"No!" I interrupted him a bit too abruptly and a bit too loudly. Volunteers around us turned briefly before continuing their tasks. It was the last thing I wanted; to end my night with a car ride with Dylan.

"Well, okay, I didn't know you were so defensive when it came to rides," Dad said with a chuckle as he took a swig of his water.

"No, it's just that Mr. Reed sounded like he really needed to be home quickly, that's all," I lied. I was getting so dangerously good at it. Dad nodded in agreement, to my luck, and ruffled my hair before heading over to Peter. It was as if Peter was his own son, managing his campaign so passionately and making sure everything ran just perfectly. It felt like a job I was supposed to take on, to ensure my father's success. However, there was so little I felt like I could actually do, but keeping quiet about sucking up to Dylan was more than what I could handle.

"Jamie, what's up?"

My thoughts were interrupted by Katia, a twenty year old college student majoring in Political Science. I spoke to her a couple of times, but it was mostly short talk.

"Hey Katia, not much," I said. I did not have much energy to do anything. I was feeling light-headed from the lack of proper nutrition.

"It's great seeing you at the office! I don't know how you manage both school and this," she said, pointing at the banner of my father hanging on the wall.

I gave her a soft smile. "Thanks, it's lack of time management actually," I tried to joke, and she giggled at my effort.

"So, Jamie, there's something I don't really understand," she said more seriously. For some reason my heart skipped a beat. "I hope you don't take any offense in this," she began. Oh boy.

"Yeah?" I said as I unknowingly popped an olive into my mouth.

"How is a sweet guy like you friends with someone like Dylan?"

Holy shit. I nearly choked on the olive and coughed it out. Katia was still waiting for the answer.

"Excuse me?" I said as I spat out the olive in a tissue.

"Don't get mad or anything, but how are you friends with Dylan? He's such an ass," she said. Wow, what did he do this time?

"How so?" I asked, cocking my brow.

"Well, we haven't told you dad yet since Dylan's dad is close to him. Anyway, Mike said he was checking inventory with Dylan and Derek, you know him right? The Asian guy from the mail room? Anyway, Dylan was bitching to Mike in front of Derek about how minorities shouldn't be anywhere near deciding this country's future since it isn't their country, anyway," she said as she finger quoted the words he spoke. That was so Dylan.

"I don't know, I could be wrong, but Mike never lies. I know him," Katia said as she shook her head disapprovingly.

"What happened to Derek?" I asked softly, looking around for any signs of him.

Katia shrugged. "He still comes in for the sake of your dad, but he always checks to see if Dylan's here before coming. He usually works mornings when you guys are at school."

I cleared my throat. "Ah, well, uh, thanks for telling me, Katia," I said with a smile. She smiled at me almost helplessly, like she pitied me for befriending such a person. If she only knew how I had no choice.

*

LadyWillow: Statistically speaking, you should've been able to beat me by now.