35

As much as I tried hard not to think about it, the thought of the letters gnawed in my mind. I kept asking myself who sent those letters. I didn’t know anyone who cared enough about me and Logan to mind our relationship. We barely even talk to anyone else at school.

“Hey, what’s wrong?” His voice brought me back from my thoughts.

When I looked up, I saw him smiling. That half-smirk that got me overwhelmed everytime.

“Hey, um, nothing.”

He raised his eyebrows. I went back to the sketch book on my lap. We were at the park. He was playing basket ball, and I, was drawing on the bench. A usual day of ours.

“You have this i-am-thinking-so-hard-i forget-what-i-am-doing face.”

“I don’t have i-am-thinking-so-hard-i forget-what-i-am-doing face.”

“Yes you do. What are you thinking?” Before I knew it, he already joined me on the bench. I knew I couldn’t tell him about the letters and everything. I wanted to keep the truth so much that I lied.

“Well, I am thinking about,” I put the sketch book aside and stood up. I grabbed the ball he was holding. “This.”

“What?”

“How about we play for a while?”

“No way!”

“Come on!”

I began to walk to the field as I dribbled the ball. I wasn’t familiar with basket ball, but I watched him often enough to know how to dribble.

He began to walk too, with a surprising look on his face, he said, “You are kidding me, right? Thomas Wright? Basket ball?”

“This is the ultimate chance, Logan.”

“It should be on the world’s record, you know.”

We laughed.

“Just shut up and play.”

“Well I shall not waste the chance, then.

And so we played, though I didn’t know how exactly I did it. But we played and laughed and actually had our bodies wet in sweat. And for a while, I could forget about the letters and everything and just enjoy this time with him playing the game I didn’t I could play.