28: Sudden Goodbye

Waves - Dean Lewis
Seeing as I have been in New York City for over a week now, anyone--including myself would have thought that I would grow use to the constant noises, at least to a certain extent. Maybe then, I would finally be able to sleep through the early hours of the morning for once.

I was so close to doing just that, but when is the universe ever on my side? Oh, that's right--fucking never.

Leaning up slowly, I growl lowly, fed up with the constant interruptions of my much needed slumber.

There was no doubt I resembled bigfoot--better yet the bogeyman when I yanked my door open, my hair looking like a rats nest, my tan tank top and thin fabric shorts covered with an unreasonable amount of stains and one of my signature furious scowls plastered on my lips.

I followed the loud shouts and arguing coming from further down the hallway, starting my rant before Kat and Preston even come into view.

"Why is it that I have been woken up by my fucking roommates, rather than the usual New York cha--" I cut myself off sharply when I stepped into the open floor plan of the living room and kitchen.

My eyes widen into saucers, which definitely didn't help my already monster like appearance as I scanned the floor of the living room.

Heaps of clothing were sprawled all over the floor and furniture, two large suitcases tossed carelessly in the center of the room.

My first thought was oh shit. Katrina found out about...

Someone's voice clearing made me snap my head in their direction.

I almost pissed my pants right then and there when I locked eyes with a pair of fierce green ones, a head of blonde hair pulled into a very pristine bun.

"Mrs. Burnns!" I laugh nervously, feeling like I've just been caught selling drugs.

Actually, that wouldn't have been all that bad, if that was the case. Unfortunately, it wasn't.

Lisa Burnns was standing approximately ten feet away in the middle of our hotel suite in New York City. Not Alaska.

A pair of heavy footsteps approaching from behind me made me whirl around quickly.

"Oh, look, Mr. Burnns is here too!" Clapping my hands once, I force an innocent smile onto my lips.

"No wonder Christopher here told me that Katrina wouldn't be returning with whale photos." Mrs. Burnns scoffs dryly, her lower lip curling in disgust.

I took that moment to scan the people that are going down with me.

Kat was standing off to the right, her expression sour and she too was still in her pajamas.

Preston was sitting on the loveseat closest to me, his eyes cast down shamefully.

The silence was thick, and I was starting to wonder if even a knife could cut through it.

"Preston, I've contacted your parents, they'd like you to call them immediately." Mr. Burnns fixed Preston with a hard glare while tightening the red tie wrapped around his neck that added more detail to his already primped dress suite.

Preston wasted no time is excusing himself from the situation leaving Kat to fend for herself. The way Mrs. Burnns was glowering at me made me think I was just as deep in this shit as their daughter.

"Adalyn," Mr. Burnns starts, his lips set into a thin line.

"I hadn't bothered contacting your parents, given the fact that your mother was the one who officially invited my daughter to--Alaska." He signals to the regal suite we were standing in. "I'm assuming they're aware of your little getaway."