2: The Bribery Rendezvous

Chapter Song: When I was Young - MO

     "Oh god, I can't wait to shove this beauty in Patricia Ann's face. She's going to be so jealous, I can see it now." My mom was cradling the Givenchy purse I had shoved in her hands the moment Kat had dropped me off at home nearly twenty minutes ago.

"Yeah and I knew just how much you wanted it. So will you call now?" I leaned against the wall of our grand foyer, keeping a steady gaze on my mom.

"She's going to wish she had never said any of those awful things about my taste in style. Just watch, she's going to be begging for my forgiveness." She continued to rant aloud, not even acknowledging my presence.

"Mom, can you please call Kat's parents?"

"All the girls are going to be the doormats under my feet as soon as they see this charm. Oh my god, don't you just love how the sequences travel along the strap Ada?" She didn't bother to look at me as she pranced around on the marble floors while hugging the oh so precious purse to her chest.

"Mom." I tried to catch her attention but she wasn't having any of it.

"Oh, just think about the amount of attention she'll get!"

Pushing myself off the wall, I take a few tentative steps in her directions but again, she didn't seem to notice.

"Mom?"

She continued to ignore me like I was the furthest thing from her mind. Who am I kidding? I always was.

"Mother."

My patience was wearing thin as I watched her ogle the piece of material like there was no one else in the room.

"Hey, I bought this so you can tell Kat's parents that--"

"--Ada, will you just be quiet for a moment? Mommy isn't done admiring her new accessory yet." Her response was distant, but at this point I didn't give a shit how happy she was feeling.

"Oh for the love of god!" I threw my hands up in annoyance before marching over to her.

Before she could even process what I was doing, I yanked the purse out of her hands and dangled the overly priced purse by it's strap at the tip of my pointer finger.

"Adalyn what the--"

"--Here's what's going to happen. You're are going to walk your snobby ass into the kitchen, grab your phone and give Mrs. Burnns a call." A deep frown was engraved in my lips.

Crossing her arms over her chest, she huffs loudly. "Why would I do that?"

"Because if you want this precious purse to stay in one piece, you're going to tell them you've invited Katrina with us on our perfect little family vacation." I hissed out my reply, suddenly feeling exhausted.

"Family vacation?" She looked at me dumbfounded.

"Yes. This is what you're going to say." Squaring my shoulders, I put on a serious face. "Hi, Lisa. It's Gracie. I was just calling to tell you that Amir and I agreed that Katrina can join us on our family vacation during spring break and I assure you that she'll be in great hands." My mocking tone came out high pitched and haughty which made my mom frown.

"I do not sound like that young lady." She lifted her head a little higher.

"Now, mom. I'm pretty sure this purse isn't fire resistant and arson doesn't sound like a bad idea right about now." My careless threat made her freeze like a deer caught in headlights.

With wide steely blue eyes, she nods quickly before taking off into the kitchen.

Perfect.

With a pompous smile, I follow her with a new fond spring in my step.

* * * *

     "Hey Lisa it's Grace. I was just calling to let you know that Katrina is welcome to join us during spring break."

"Yes, we've decided to take a family vacation since it looks like spring break has been extended another week." My mom rolls her eyes as she leans back against the kitchen island.

"Oh, where are we going...?" She looks over at me with wide eyes.

I ponder it for a moment, ignoring my moms free hand waving wildly to get my attention.

"Alaska," Grace blurts out quickly.

I stifle my laugh as soon as the words leave her lips.

My mom? In Alaska? She wouldn't be caught dead anywhere that cold.

Mrs. Burnns seemed to think the same thing.

"Yeah, Alaska. Hate the cold? Yeah well..." She visibly cringed as she gulped slowly. "Well I-I guess I've had a change in heart."

She was quiet for a few seconds listening to what Mrs. Burnns had to say.

"Yes, we've already got everything situated. We'll take very good care of her, but don't expect me to--"

I held the purse in her face, causing her to pause mid sentence.

I imitated the actions of a pair of scissors cutting straight through the piece of material. "Oh, I was just going to say, don't expect me to...let them wander the streets alone, yeah."

She exhaled dramatically, wiping the non-existent sweat off her perfectly arched brow like she had just saved herself from getting caught. Or in her case, losing the purse she had gotten less than an hour ago.

"I'll be sure to tell Adalyn. It was nice chatting with you Lisa. We'll have to catch up sometime. Maybe over a nice pedicure or a--"

She once again did not get to finish her sentence as I pulled the phone away from her and mockingly said goodbye to Lisa before ending the call.

"Well?" I prompt, standing directly in front of my mom with an impatient tap of my foot.

She rubbed her forehead, casting her gaze to the ground. "I swear, you're gonna be the death of me, you little brat."

After another long drag of silence, she sighs perilously. "She said Kat will be ready by Saturday morning."

I immediately let the purse slip through my fingers and onto the polished tiles.

I almost didn't hear the screech my mother let out as I bounded out of the kitchen and up to my room.

I had a trip to start planning. 

* * * * 

* * * * 

Keep in mind this WHOLE 'novel' is a rough draft!