6: Let it Begin

Chapter Song: New - Daya

      "Whatever you do, do not let your father find out. He'll be beyond pissed that I'd let our precious daughter go out into the real world all by herself." My mom placed a hand over her heart to emphasize her point.

I offered her one of my frequent eyerolls, waving a hand dismissively. "How would he find out? He barely knows what's going on in our lives as is. But, it's up to you to keep Jack in the dark. You know how much he loves to run to dad with secrets, that little snitch."

Mom didn't pay any attention to me as she applied another layer of an obnoxious pink lipstick to her lips, with the help of a compact mirror.

Smacking her lips, she caps the lipstick and turns to face me with her hand on her hip. "You know all that boy wants is a relationship with his father."

She quickly turns away a minute later, her next words much quieter. "Your father's doing everything he can to maintain this lifestyle we've grown accustomed to. He doesn't have time for relationships at the moment. That'll change soon, I'm sure." Her prissy tone made me laugh inside.

"Okay, mom. I'm heading out."

This is the time when the awkwardness between my mother and I surfaces. We've never been all that close, hell we act like siblings more than anything. Do we hug, or would a simple high five suffice?

Mom must have been thinking the same thing because she awkwardly stood, shifting on her feet.

I can tell she didn't want to think about it too much because she swallowed deeply and wrapped her arms around me.

"Even though you're a brat, be careful. New York is a big city. It'll swallow you up in a second if you let it." Her words took a few seconds to actually sink in.

"Yeah, okay. Thanks mom. I'll see you later." With a quick wave, I take hold of my suitcase and began to wheel it to the rental car sitting in my driveway. A bold red 2017 Chevrolet Suburban.

Ten minutes later, I pulled into the parking lot by Kat's house.

There were two cars already there, both of them fairly recognizable.

I popped the trunk before hopping out of the car.

The first person I noticed was Kat. She was perched against her own car, her smile brightening her whole face.

Nicholas was seated in his car, the driver's side door fully open giving me a glimpse of him. His hair was disheveled to an extent, and there were evident bags under his eyes.

Offering Kat a tight smile, I approach Nic, a haughty expression taking over my features. "Didn't get much sleep?"

Rubbing a hand down his face, he laughs dryly.

"It's too early for this shit. I'm hungry. Let's get something to eat before we start driving." His voice was husky and soft, as if he was seconds away from passing out.

"Yeah, let me just go say hey to Kat. Put your stuff in the trunk, please."

I didn't wait for his answer as I turned my back on him and walked over to Kat. I don't know how, but I ended up overseeing douchebag when I first arrived.

He was now against the side of Kat's car, a foot propped back on the front tire.

They were in the middle of what looked to be an intent conversation when Katrina turned to face me.

Preston indistinctively followed suit, frowning when he saw it was me.

I don't think anyone could miss the bruised jaw he was sporting from a mile away. My inner evil self smiled, satisfied with her work.

"You ready? Put your shit in the trunk, let's hit the road." I held Kat's gaze for a while, wondering what the two had been talking about.

Without another peep, Kat wheels her suitcase over to the awaiting car, Torez following close behind a few seconds later.

Just as he made a move to pass me, he harsh-fully shouldered me, his mouth now very close to my ear. "This is going to be one hell of a journey, Dolly."

Locking my gaze with his, I send him a crooked smile. "Now there's one thing we can both agree on, douchebag."

* * * *

"Just get in the fucking car, you baby."

"Preston, seriously."

"Dude, come on, you're wasting our time."

Kat, Nic and I were trying to get Preston into the car, but he refused, saying he called shotgun.

Nic was currently the one behind the wheel while I took the passenger seat much to Preston's dismay.

The big baby crosses his arms across his chest, pouting dramatically.

"Oh, my god Torez, if you don't get into the car in the next ten seconds we're going to have a repeat of--"

He holds up a hand, cutting me off sharply. "Stop right fucking there. There will never be a repeat unless you want to be spending the week in a jail cell."

"What the hell are you talking about?" Nic pipes in, looking between Torez and I.

"Nothing," we say quickly, both not wanting to recap. I hadn't told him what had happened because I didn't think it was that big of a deal and I didn't want him to act like my babysitter this whole trip instead of having fun.

If he ever found out what happened, it would be almost impossible to get him to leave my side.

"Pres, come on," Kat urges her boyfriend to get in the backseat next to her.

With a hesitant sigh, Preston glares at me and stomps over to the car.

When I thought he was about to get in, he takes a sharp turn to the right, now standing in front of me, the passenger door wide open.

Thump.

The sound of the door slamming shut forcefully takes me aback. I was inches away from losing my leg.

That little man bitch.

A second later, he hops into the seat behind me, sighing contently.

I slowly turn to face him, a deep scowl on my face. "You're a fucking prick."

"Ditto, Dolly."

Groaning inwardly, I turn back in my seat, inhaling slowly.

If this was the way things were gonna be for the next two weeks, I mine as well jump out of the car now.

A light hand rests on my left thigh a second later. The action seemed to calm me down a little and I offered Nic a small smile.

He murmurs incoherent words before pulling out of the parking lot.

If I didn't know any better, I would have thought he had said something along the lines of what the hell did I agree to?

ओह! यह छवि हमारे सामग्री दिशानिर्देशों का पालन नहीं करती है। प्रकाशन जारी रखने के लिए, कृपया इसे हटा दें या कोई भिन्न छवि अपलोड करें।
The Secret Between Us (Unedited) जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें