26: Temporary Heart on my Sleeve

The Other - Lauv

     I've never been so excited to fall asleep in my life. By the time I reached my room, I had already yanked my boots off and tied my hair into a messy bun on the top of my head.

Even though I couldn't see myself, I was sure I looked far worse than the drunks back at the bar.

I shoved my door open swiftly, not bothering to turn on the light as I dragged my feet along the carpeted floor, straight for my bed.

Not even bothering to snuggle under the comforters, I flop onto the cool fabric, inhaling sharply.

The heaviness of my eyes was leading me to darkness faster than I could comprehend. Focusing on my steady breathing, I curl into a ball and let myself become numb.

Unfortunately, the universe isn't on my side tonight, because my eyes instantly snap open when the sound of a loud deep rumble fills my ears.

Looking into the darkness, I hold my breath. Another roar vibrates the room, making me scan the area cautiously.

A flash of electricity lights up my room for a split second, sending a layer of goose bumps across my body.

A thunder storm. Great, the sullen scornful weather fitting perfectly with my overburdened, pensive mood.

Resting my head back onto my pillow, I close my eyes, the rhythmic thunder followed by the lightening lulling me into slumber.

The Gods must be laughing at me right now, saying something along the line of, haha, you silly little goose! You think a simple thunderstorm is all we've got in store for you? Well...think again.

An unsettling creaking sound made me lean up in bed, causing a massive headache to hit me full force.

The light coming from underneath my closed door grows more illuminante as it's pulled open. A hand pokes in and switches on the light switch, making me hiss as I attempt to cover my eyes with my forearm.

"No! Turn them off, dammit!"

I quickly shove my face into the pillow, desperately trying to escape the light.

It switches off a second later, but I heard my door open even further, meaning the light from the hallway would be more illuminate.

"I told you I'd talk to you if necessary, but I didn't think that meant you'd be hovering over me every second of the day--and night." A light layer of sarcasm seeped through my words.

When I heard the door click shut once more, I pull my face away from the pillow, looking over at Kat's figure who was taking slow steps towards me.

"Ada..."

That's weird, last time I checked, Kat didn't have such a large build. And a hoarse voice.

When it hit me, I immediately started crab walking backwards until my back hit the headboard.

No, not now, shit!

Their figure grew closer and closer, when all I wanted it to do was disappear.

"What the fuck are you doing?" I hiss, trying and failing to sound threatening.

He stops at the foot of my bed, his features slowly become clear by the small amount of light leaking through the curtains and the flash of lightning every few seconds.

"Adalyn."

My heart hammered dangerously in my chest, on the verge of exploding at any moment.