Eleven.

home
həʊm/Submit
noun;

1.
the place where one lives permanently, especially as a member of a family or household.
"the floods forced many people to flee their homes"
synonyms: place of residence, accommodation, property, a roof over one's head;

Tommy's POV

I watched Betty as she watched Collins, from afar.
I didn't know this girl at all yet I could feel her strength and courageousness radiating off her.
I had no idea why she would come try save us soldiers, even I didn't want to be here and I signed up for it.Yet the way she looked at Collins reminded me of the way my mother had looked at my father, they seemed close; maybe they've been lovers since before the war began? I questioned to myself.
Long term lovers or not, Betty was in dangerously deep and wasn't getting out anytime soon; but, if I was correct, so was Collins.
The way he returned her glances almost made me squeal, no matter how strange that must sound.

I was a sucker for love stories and this made my heart flutter.
I'd always wanted to be an author before this war began, and this which was happening right in front of me, I would've only been able to imagine.
It was like a sweet poem was unfolding right of front of me. Their love seemed to be melodic and made me want to break out into song, almost.

Their love seemed to be reflecting off the sky , as the sun drew from the clouds and before we knew it we were walking towards Alex and Collins, who looked like they were introducing one another.

Collins turned to face Betty, quickly embracing her.
Me and Alex watched not really knowing what to do, hands in our pockets.

Alex let out a slight breath as the two broke apart.

"So" he said

A slight chuckle left Betty's mouth, sending a small wave of warmth throughout the beach. Collins turned to watch her, a massive grin smothered itself onto his face due to Betty's laughter.

All four of us seemed to be standing there in simultaneous laugher.
Even in this war zone we managed to find the ounce of light which had slithered itself into the situation. I don't know why, but I almost felt safe with these people, they seemed to remind me of home.

"We better be getting home"
I stated with optimism.

"Ah, he talks"
Collins joked beside me.

A light hearted laugh left my throat and we began to walk to the mole.

Soon enough we had surfaced upon a ship, travelling upon the English Channel.

*****
(About an hour later)

Mountains of jam on toast later,
we were well on our way to England.
Everything felt like it was going to plan, we hadn't been bombarded with explosions yet; so that was good.

Betty and Collins were sat in a corner, all loved up. And many other soldiers gawked at them, some thinking of their lovers back at home.

"Adorable 'innit" a voice spoke beside me.
Alex took another bite out of his toast and waited for my response.
"Very."
I replied simply, going along with the small-talk.

He looked like he was about to ask something but his voice was overruled by a louder, more authoritative one.

"TORPEDO"

"Shitshitshit!" He voiced behind me.
He grabbed my arm and bolted towards the door, pushing past panicked soldiers.

By the time we were at the door, the ship was already on its side and sinking rapidly.

"Collins and Betty"
I shouted to Alex.

"They'll be fine, they've got each other. They're strong together, but right now; we need to jump"
He said, struggling for words.

I nodded at his way of thinking, the two would be okay. Collins would protect Betty with his life, Betty with hers too.

"On the count of three"
He stated, grabbing my wrist.

"1,2-"
I shouted and before I knew it we were submerged in the freezing water.

I surfaced, faced with a cheeky-grinned Alex.

"You cheeky bastard! You pulled me in on two!"
I breathlessly cussed at him, choking up the water from my lungs.

"Oh shut up; we were going in either way"
He shrugged my words off, a slight smirk still playing on his face.

A small wooden boat came into vision and I let out a gasp.

"Boat."
I whispered to Alex, who was already looking at me oddly.

He nodded grasping my wrist, and we began to swim towards the boat.

"C'mon"
A young, blonde boy breathily said to himself as he pulled me up onto the deck.

"Thank you"
I responded to his actions gratefully.

"It's 'kay, go below deck please sir."
He told me, softly.

The boy looked slightly broken, like he was missing someone. He wore a red turtle neck and prominent bags rested beneath his eyes.

I nodded and made my way below.

An even younger boy lay on the ground, wincing with pain holding his head.

"You alright son?"
Alex questioned the young boy as he got to the bottom of the ladder.

"Yeah, just resting; banged my head that's all"
He said quietly

Alex murmured a quiet 'okay' and sat down beside him, I followed reluctantly.

The boat was quiet, all that was heard was our breathing and the slight creaks of the boat as the waves crashed off the sides.

The silence continued for a while until I could hear more soldiers being hauled onto the vessel.

"Betty?"
A loud voice could be heard from above.

"Peter? I thought you..."
A feminine voice trailed off

"I thought you were..."
The young boy, who's name must've been Peter, continued.

"Peter, what? Why? How?"
She continued to ask.

An even louder voice rang throughout the boat.

"Betty?"
The voice sounded more mature than Peters, it sounded more authoritative.

"Dad?"

-----

Hii omgg, was that some flirting between Alex and Tommy? Wowowow things just got juicyyyy.

Okay, okay, okay... thanks a lot for 600 reads!! It means sosoossoso much to me that people are actually reading this book!
If you do like it, please make sure you vote and continue to read!
Thank you sososo much ily.

Yours truly,

E xx