One.

help:

hɛlp/Submit

verb;

•improve (a situation or problem); be of benefit to.

~

Betty Dawson's POV:

I stepped onto my fathers boat, it was around three in the morning and my only light source was the stars above me. Other than that I was completely covered by the night sky.

I wasn't sure how my father would react in the morning, when he found out I was gone.
But I had to help, I couldn't let thousands of men be stranded on that beach.

I started the boat. The engine hissed at me, I shushed it despite knowing it wouldn't make any difference. My heart rate increased tremendously and every breath i took sunk to the very bottom of my soul.

The waves began to grow bigger with every square meter the boat progressed onwards. I wasn't even half way there yet, but I already knew it wouldn't be easy.

"What in God's name are you doing?"
A loud voice from behind me caught me off guard, nearly startling me half to death. He had followed me onto the boat, how could I have been so foolish? I didn't even need to turn around to know who my unwanted passenger was.
"Peter, I can explain." My words drew quieter than I intended, almost making me appear scared of my older brother.

"What in the world would possess you to steal fathers boat and drive off into the English Channel?!"
He raised his voice, I don't think I'd ever seen him this angry before. His hand gestures flailed around like a madman-magician.

"I need to help them, Peter..Y-you don't understand!" I raised my voice; I was sick of him trying to control me all the time. All I wanted to do was help these poor soldiers and everyone was trying to stop me, just because I am a woman.

"No. No. No. You're a woman, this isn't your job Betty. You should be at home, looking after mum and dad."
His words infuriated me, I clenched my fists attempting to hold back the vile words I felt like expressing.

"Maybe that's what I should be doing, but that's not what I want to be doing."
He sighed at my words, he finally gave up and walked below deck.

-----
So, there was the first chapter. I get that it's not absolutely amazing but I'm still learning how to write books effectively or whatever. Anyways, thanks for reading, I'll update as frequent as possible. :))