Chapter 13 -- Bad puns

Start from the beginning

They look at each other. Owen replies, "No, you've got smart alec remarks down pat."

Touché.

Drake continues, "Next is your fighting skills. I don't care how fast you are, every super needs to know hand-to-hand combat. And if we're trying to make you into a new super in the public's eye, you can't use your speed or invisibility."

My eyebrows furrow in confusion, "What will I use?"

Owen pipes in, "Your weather control. Not many people have seen that."

A thought occurs to me as I'm reminded of what Owen said earlier. That we were trying to become villains. What kind of lessons did Owen need from Drake? Was Drake even a villain?

"Okay, but I'll need to get better control over that power. It's new to me." Hesitancy laces through my voice, and I hate that I'm so nervous.

"It's alright. It took both of us some time to get the hang of our powers." Owen tries to calm me down.

"What is your power, Drake?" I ask blatantly. I already knew he could fly from the first night I was at his apartment. 

He clears his throat and straightens up, "Flying and super strength."

I smirk, thinking of the movie Sky High, "Stronghold."

Drake closes his eyes, unamused. "Is movie references all you're good for?"

"And bad puns." Owen adds.

I frown at the both of them, sarcastically reporting, "Oh gosh, you got me. So Drake, are you a hero or a villain?"

I don't know why I keep directing questions at him, but I was growing more and more curious. He is going to be my coach, so I feel the need to know him better. Not that I want to.

Drake sighs, "Neither. Does a person with powers really have to be labeled as anything?"

I'm taken back by his answer, but I reply, "No, I guess not. But why wouldn't you want to use your powers for good?"

He rolls his eyes, "Because I don't want to be targeted by the villains. I don't want to be a villain because then I'd be targeted by heroes. Is it so bad to want to stay off the radar?"

I fold my arms across my chest, "That's a waste of powers."

He huffs, "Your breathing is a waste of oxygen."

Owen intervenes before I go off on Drake. "Okay, you guys need to cut it out."

I ignore Owen's plea, "So are you at least a renegade?" I ask Drake.

Drake's jaw clenches, "No. I don't belong to anyone. I'm just an ordinary guy with super powers. Yes, I use them, but only when it's necessary. Now, can we continue with our lesson?"

"Yes!" We look over at Owen, who is pulling on his curly brown hair.

"Della, we need to talk." Owen grabs my wrist and pulls me outside of the apartment. I watch Drake take a seat on his couch as we walk out.

"What is going on between you two?" Owen asks after the door slams behind me.

"This is the way it's always been." I reply, not meeting Owen's eyes. The hardwood floor underneath my feet creaks as I shift my weight from one hip to the other.

"I want to know what happened in the past, Della. What made you guys hate each other?" What is he, my therapist? I don't have to explain my past to him. Reliving my past isn't something I want to do right now.