Forgetting

It had been two weeks and Jane still hadn't woken up. Each of the kids spent time with their mother. 

Maura had tried to stay strong for their sons and daughters, but struggled to keep her own tears at bay.

Jane was starting to get better, but Maura didn't know how long it would take for her to come out of the coma and be able to come home.

Maura sat by Jane's bed, holding her hand, trying to stay awake. There was a knock on the door. "Come in." Maura said.

Angela waked in with a small bit of ravioli, "I thought you might be hungry." "Thanks." Maura took the plate.

"Still nothing?" Angela asked. Maura shook her head, "What if she never wakes up? How can I raise four children alone?"

Tears began to form.

"Maura, Jane's strong. She's survived two deployments, PTSD and giving birth to triplets...I know she will wake up and-"

Angela was interrupted by the shrill of monitors and muffled screaming.

Doctors ran in. Angela was escorted out as Maura took her wife's hand.

The breathing tube was taken out of Jane's throat. Leaning forward, she coughed up some blood, than fell back trying to catch her breath.

"Jane? Janie it's me. Maura." Maura put her hand on the side of Jane's face. Jane wriggled away before uttering six words:

"I don't  know who you are."