This is how a heart breaks

It was impossible to move as fast as Maura was going.

Once her and the kids got to the hospital, she had Frankie watch them in the waiting room as she went back to find out what was going on with Jane.

"I'm..." Her voice faulted.

"Dr. Isles. I'm assuming you want to know more about what's going on with Detective Rizzoli?" "Yes."

"She was shot, and at first it seemed easy to get the bullet out, but when we went in, we saw that when she fell, she somehow fell hard enough to crack a rib. The rib went into her lung just enough for it to slowly collapse."

Maura sat down on the floor.

"She's in the ICU and there's a fifty-fifty chance she'll make it. You can see her if you would like."

Maura nodded and followed him.

Once they got to Jane's room, Maura hesitated before going in.

Jane looked more like a machine then a woman.

She had a ventilator and some wires around her right side. There was also another tube that was bringing the blood out of her lung as well as tons of IV's.

Maura sat next to her partner, her solider, her wife.

"Hey Janie it's me... Maura. I know you are strong and can pull through... please pull through. The kids need you. Your family needs you. Your co-workers need you..."

I need you.

"Please come back to us."

Maura sat with Jane all day, watching the ventilator breathe for her.

Maura hesitated to sleep, but she knew Jane would tell her to get some rest.

Maura fell asleep with a broken heart.

***
A/N I am not sure what medical professionals do with a collapsed lung, but the wires thing I made up.

Do you think Jane's gonna be okay?

More drama to come!