Law and Order Part One

Twisting her wedding ring, Jane began pacing as she waited for her lawyer to arrive. She was ready to become a Veteran and not the Marine's "star receiver", as she called herself.

"Captain Rizzoli? Hi, I'm Abbie Carmichael and I'll be your lawyer." A woman said. "Nice to meet you, I am Captain Jane Rizzoli. Aren't you a US Marshall?" Jane asked shaking hands with Abbie.

"Yes, but the court decided to make me your lawyer." Abbie says as they walked into the courtroom.

Jane looked at the media that was there. The big stations, such as CBS, ABC, and NBC, were reporting about how Jane was mostly suing the Marines for not respecting her desire to get granted full pension and retirement.

"Will your wife be joining us?" Abbie asked. "No. She could go into labor at any time." Jane said as they took to their seats.

Soon the trial started.

The Marine's General took to the stand first and gave his testimony and was crossed examined. Many others were crossed examined before Jane finally took to the stand.

"Captain Rizzoli, how long have you been a Marine?" Abbie asked.

"Nine years." "Why do you want full pension and retirement?" "I have a wife and a baby on the way and I want to be there for them instead of dead in Afghanistan." 

Abbie looked at the Marine's lawyer, Chris Johnson, "Your witness."

"Captain Rizzoli, how did you meet your wife?" Chris asked walking over to Jane. "Objection. Relevance." Abbie looked up from her notes.

"I'll allow it. Captain Rizzoli, answer the question." Judge Mark McDonald said.

"I knew her brother in the Core. He died about two and a half years ago. He told me his final wish was for me to tell his sister, my wife, Doctor Maura Isles, about his passing." Jane began to fiddle with her wedding ring.

"You didn't answer my question." "Fine. Dallas, Texas. Happy?"

"Yes. Now after serving nine years, why stop now?" Chris asked. Jane expected for Abbie to jump and yell "Objection", but she didn't.

"I already told the court Jackass." Jane answered.

Chris, looking offended, looked at Judge McDonald. "Your Honor!"

"Save it Mister Johnson. She did already answer that. The Jury will disregard yours and Captain Rizzoli's last statements." Judge McDonald said.

"Captain Rizzoli, why did you join the Marines nine years ago?" Chris asks trying to hide his frustration.

"My father was a Marine and was killed eleven years ago. I told a happier story to a high school's Veteran's Day Assembly, but what they didn't hear was my real reason." Jane stopped herself.

Don't make me tell about Abree. 

"What was the reason?" "I lost a child...Your Honor do I...?"

"Yes, Captain. You brought it up so-" "Objection! Mister Johnson is trying to win this case by scaring Captain Rizzoli into telling her personal life!" Abbie jumped up.

"Order! Mister Johnson, the Jury will disregard the last few questions and answers." "Your Honor!"

"Save it Mister Johnson. Only ask questions related to this case. You aren't writing her life's story." Judge McDonald said.

"Right. My apologies. Now Captain Rizzoli, you want to be a Veteran after nine years, with full pension. My question is if you lose this case, what will you do next?" Chris asked.

"Objection. Relevance." Abbie called out again.

"No. Your Honor, I actually want to answer." Jane looked at Judge McDonald.

"Go ahead." Judge McDonald smiled at the Captain.

"My next move, if I lose, will be to sue the Marines. The reason why is because they sent me on an assignment while my wife was almost six months pregnant. I love my country yes, but I don't want to serve in a Core who is willing to make sure that I will serve them before I can have a life. I want to be a Veteran so I can beat PTSD and raise my child to honor our county. The child I lost was the reason why I became a Marine, because I was nineteen and thought that I needed to get my life together. I am ready to become a civilian again." Jane looked at the bracelet that, still, was around her wrist after ten years.

"No more questions." Chris said.

"Captain, you may step down. We will take a two hour recess while the Jury deliberates." Judge McDonald said.

******

"Has the Jury come to a verdict." "Yes Your Honor."

"In the case Rizzoli v United States Marine Core, where do you stand?" 

"In the case Rizzoli v United States Marine Core, we have decided that the USMC will not let Captain Rizzoli retire."

A roar erupted in the courtroom.

"ORDER! ORDER! Captain Rizzoli, Miss Carmichael, you can file an appeal. Court's dismissed."

Jane slammed her hand on the wooden table. "Jane, look at me. I'll start the appeal process right away. I'll make sure this goes to Supreme Court." Abbie said. 

Jane's phone buzzed.

"Hello?" She answered.

"Jane? " Maura said very alarmed. "Maura? Are you okay?" 

There was a sob heard before Maura spoke again, "I'm in labor." "Okay, I'm on my way. Who's taking you to the hospital?" 

"Your mother." "I'll be there soon. I love you." "I love you too."