Prologue

Prologue

The blue sky was no longer. The beautiful hue had quickly transitioned into a dark, cloudy grey. The sound of thunder roared through the city, accenting the mood that presented itself in the Jacobs home. Heaven Jacobs found herself standing in the center of a storm, but she didn't mind the impending one outside. The cool wind blew, ruffling the material of her black knee length dress.

Today wasn't a day that she could have ever dreamed of. This wasn't a day or moment that she'd wished to be in. Out of all of the horrible things that she'd endured, this one couldn't be shaken off as easily.

At the tender age of twenty one, she found herself hurling over every obstacle that life could throw at her. She had gone through so much that she had asked God several times why. Never could she get clear answers, but there was one person that had helped and loved her through most of it.

Quincy Jacobs was his name and he was husband.

She met Quincy her sophomore year of high school and even though he was ahead of hr by four years, the two found love. They had a love so strong that when she turned eighteen, the two eloped.

Her eyes scanned the sky above and it was clear as day that the weatherman had finally been right for once. It was actually going to rain this time. She wiped away the clear liquid that seeped from her hazel eyes. The tears seemed as though they were making a permanent home in her eyes. She hated the feeling of being sad, but there wasn't anything left for her to do.

Turning on her heels, she looked at her husband through the glass of the patio door, she couldn't help but sigh at the sight before her. She quickly rushed inside to be by his side. With her hand stuck out, she waited for him to choose her over his fourth glass of liquor.

These days, it seemed like it was his only source of serenity. Eternity must've passed before Quincy even acknowledged the fact that she was there. She held her breath as she watched him look from the liquor and up to her with the meanest scold ever.

She flinched at his rejection.

That was Heaven's life now. Her husband, the man that used to take her pain away, was now the one inflicting it. He'd turned to purchased bottles of liquor while she turned to isolating herself.

Defeated, she backed off.

Twenty minutes.

They were currently twenty minutes late for the repast, but it didn't seem as if either of them had the desire to show up. Going to the repast meant that it was the end. It meant the final goodbye and neither of them wanted to look at their family's grieving eyes. Hell, they were still grieving.

Nervousness rushed over Heaven and she immediately began pacing the living room floor. Her black six inch heels clicked and clacked against the white marble floor. She whispered to herself softly in hopes of calming herself down, but the sound of glass connecting to glass halted her movements.

"Dammit, Heaven! Will you sit the fuck down?" Quincy's voice boomed throughout their spacious four bedroom home, but she was too distracted by the blood pouring down his hand to care. He had shattered the drinking glass against the glass coffee table.

"Baby, let me help you," she calmly responded, making her way to her injured husband. Her nurturing trait wanted so badly to feel a void.

"You want to help me?" Quincy condescendingly asked, standing up from their couch. "You want to fuckin' help me? Then leave me the fuck alone!"

The tears came as quick as the words left his lips. Three days ago, she would've told you that he had never spoken to her like that before, but things changed. Everything changed. He was unrecognizable. Her Quincy was a social drinker, but this stranger? This stranger drank liquor like water. Sure, he looked like her husband. He dressed like him. Hell, he even sounded like him, but it wasn't him. It couldn't have been. She would have never fallen in love with this monster.

Quincy angrily stalked out of the living room and into their guest bathroom. He slammed the door so hard that the picture nearby fell off the way.

Her heart dropped to her stomach. It was one of those pictures. It took a moment for her feet to get to walking toward the picture, but when she did, she picked it up and stroked it lovingly with her thumb. It was a picture of her once happy family. It was Q and Peyton, their daughter at her birthday party just a few short months ago.

As she sobbed out in pain, she could hear the sound of her phone going off, which let her know that the awaiting family members were growing concerned.

Pull it together, Heaven.

Fixing her face, Heaven knew what she had to do. She had to put on a face for her family. Even though she wasn't the strongest one in the family, she always knew how to put on the face in their moment of need. It was time to say their final goodbye to their little angel. They had to finally accept the truth.

Their baby was gone.