Chapter 4: The loss

كل نفس ذايقة الموت°

"Every soul shall taste death."
[3:5]

______________________________________

I stood still at the same position for almost five minutes. I felt as if everything around me was spinning. I was at loss of words. Everything around me seemed inaudible. I couldn't believe his words. My dad cannot die just like that. I felt lonely. How could he leave the world just like that?

When he dropped me at my examination centre this morning, neither of us had any idea about the happenings of this terrible accident, which have totally upturned our lives, in fact taken away my dad's life.

Memories of him dropping me to school, swaying me on the swings, feeding me my favourite cupcakes kept flashing in my mind. I felt way too tired and remorseful. It was a moment wherein I was ready to do anything possible to get my father back to life.

I knew it was all over. But my heart still craved for some miracle to take place. Hot tears started flowing from my eyes.

Ammar stood beside me and placed his hands on my shoulders. His eyes were wet too. He looked pale. He was broken from within. But despite of everything, he consoled me until I regained my senses. His presence comforted me a bit.

A while later, Uncle Yahya and aunt Maryam came out from the I.C.U where my mom was currently shifted.
Uncle Yahya asked Ammar to accompany​ him as they had to prepare for the burial by 12:00 a.m approximately. Father always said that he wanted his burial to be done as early as possible.

Aunt Maryam looked at me with teary eyes. She held me in her arms for a while and said, "Its O.k Rumi. Trust Allah. He is our creator. To him we belong and to him we shall return. And Allah never burdens a soul more than how much it can bear. Allah Subhana Wa Ta'ala says in the quraan, Surah no. 3 verse no. 185, "Every soul shall taste death," Idrees bhai isn't here anymore, but his presence will always be felt. He'll always reside in our hearts. You need to be strong dear, for yourself, for your mom, for Ammar and for your father as well."

I looked at her. She seemed to be crying too. But she still smiled at me, a smile that made me feel she have got something more to say. I nodded a yes to her as if permitting her to continue her words.

"The doctors have operated on your mum. But they said that they can't assure us of anything yet. Plus me and your uncle just met her. Even at this stage of life, she was worried of her children, of you and Ammar. Thats how mothers always are." She continued. "Rumaisa. We arent sure if tommorow your mother will be with us or not! But every mother wants to see her children settled. And your mom wishes the same too. She asked me if you and Suhaib could be wedded by tommorow morning. I know what you are going through and you are currently not in a situation to think about all these. But this might be your mother's last wish. Think about her. I am fine with whatever the two of you decide. Your uncle is probably talking about this to Ammar and Suhaib right now. If the two of you agree we'll get the nikah done by tommorow morning."

I was surprised by her words. I always adored Suhaib, but never did I imagine that I'll be marrying him at this kind of situation. My inner being wanted to scream at aunt Maryam for suggesting the day after my father's burial as the day of my nikah. But the thought of my mother melted away my anger. And there I knew, I have to do this. For the sake of my mother.

After a strong silence, I told aunt Maryam that I am fine with this marriage. But I wanted to know if Ammar would agree to it or not. Aunt Maryam took my palm in hers and slightly pressed it ensuring me that Ammar have already agreed to it. He just wanted to make sure if I was ready for it. The thought that my brother, Ammar is with me soothed my pain for a while.

Later that night, I stood infront of my father's dead body, which was all set to be taken to the graveyard and buried. I saw Ammar weeping for the first time. That blank look in his eyes, it scared me. I only hoped for him to get better soon. And minutes later Uncle Yahya, Ammar, Suhaib and some others of our relatives moved towards the graveyard along with my father's body. They placed him on their shoulders and went off. A fear crept over my body. I can no longer see my dad. I felt hopeless and tired. I wanted my mom to recover as soon as possible.

____________________________________

As salam alaikum everyone!!

Do you like the chapter?
The next update might take a little long cz i've my exams in the coming month!

Do vote if u liked it!
Remember me in your precious prayers!!

Stay connected!
Happy reading:-)