Chapter 17

Luke gave a long, drawn out sigh. He sat back down in his chair. "Where do you wnat to start?"

      "Um...what exactly is the transformation?"

      Luke thought for a moment, as if trying to find a good way to say this. "You know how Kronos is your dad, right?" I nodded. "Well, I lead a group that is dedicated to ressurecting him, and ending the reign of the gods. We needed to find a way to ressurect him. Originally, our plan was to steal Zeus's lightining bolt, and have it transported to his eternal resting place in Tartarus. However, that didn't work, and our demigod carrier found the bolt and told on us. With that plan gone, we had to go to our plan B, which was taking Kronos out of Tartarus and using the Golden Fleece to heal him faster.

         "You see, with every new demigod that joins us, Kronos grows stronger. But he wasn't healing fast enough. The Golden Fleece has magical healing powers, and it would speed up the healing process. Unfortunately, demigods interfeered again, and that didn't work. So we had to go with plan C. We decided that we could use a mortal host that would willingly house Kronos' spirit while he was still healing. The only problem was that the mortal host would have to take some extreme precautions, like bathing in the River Styx to become invincible so they could survive the transformation. However, when Kronos left the host and was finally healed, it is highly probable that the host will die. Naturally, I was chosen to be the host."

         This explained a lot to me. Like why I was brought here in the first place, and why everyone here treated me like a princess. I was the Daughter of Kronos, and I pretty much stood for everything that they were fighting for. I was also the daughter of their king, wich explained all the respect and responsibilities. But I didn't want Luke to die! I had only known him for a few months, but we had already become close. If Luke died, what would happen to me? My uncle entrusted me into his care, but he couldn't take care of me if he was dead.

         "If you're going to die, then why are you doing it?" I asked.

        "It's a huge honor. It would prove to everyone who ever looked down on me that I was somebody important."

       I had a feeling that when he talked about "everyone who ever looked down on me" he meant his father, Hermes. From what Luke told me, which wasn't very much, they had a rocky relationship. Better than the relationship with my father, who I'd never even met. All I knew was that he was a bloodthirsty killer and ate his problems.

     "Who is McConnel?" I said.

      "McConnel is one of our many sponsors. They donate money and we use it to buy weapons and things we need. Like this boat. They joined our cause because they are power hungry, and believe that after the transformation, and Kronos is reincarnated, he will give them power."

        "Oh. What's a satyr, and who's that Percy Kid?"

        Luke sighed again, and a dark look I'd never seen before passed over his face, like a cloud before it rains. "Satyrs are half human and half goat. They really like nature and trees and stuff, and their job is to take demigods and bring them to safe places, like Camp Half Blood. You do know what a demigod is, right?"

      "Yeah." I knew what a demigod was. It was the kid of a Greek god (or in my case, a Titan) and a mortal. Luke was a demigod. Ethan was a demigod. So were a majority of the people on this ship.

       "Well, demigods are hunted by monsters. In order to ensure their safety, the satyrs find them, and bring them to Camp Half Blood to train," Luke explained.

         "Is this a safe place, sort of like Camp Half Blood? I mean, there's a lot of demigods here, and nobody really seems to hunt us, as far as I know."

        "This is a safe place, but it is still dangerous. Last year, some demigods found our ship, one of them being "that Percy kid" and figured out what we're doing. They told the leader of Camp Half Blood, Chiron, and now he has all sorts of people hunting us down. What's even worse is that the gods found out and now they're really ticked off. At this point, they'll do anything in their power to stop us. They do NOT want their father back."

           That made sense to me. If my father had eaten me, I probably wouldn't want him ressurecting to take over the world anytime soon. 

           But then it hit me. Kronos was also my father! The same guy who had eaten his kids! And if I was his kid, then maybe he'd want to keep up the tradition!

           When I asked Luke, his normally happy face grew serious. "That's exactly why you need to be training extra hard and learn how to use your powers well enough. Now that you're ten, they should come more naturally to you. I worry that if Kronos is unimpressed he'll probably kill you - or eat you," Luke added with a smile. He let that sink in for a minute before saying, "All right that's enough seriousness for one day. Go back to your suite and get a good night sleep. You have a long day of training tomorrow."