Chapter 10

We finally stopped near this giant cruise ship. At least, I thought it was a cruise ship. I wasn't really sure, because I'd never seen one. But it was really big and looked too fancy to be a normal boat. There was also a pretty screaming lady statue on the front which creeped me out.

  Finally, my curiosity won, and I asked Luke, "Where are we?"

  "Sam," he shouted over the roar of the jet-ski's motor, "Welcome to the Princess Andromeda!"

  "The who?"

  "It's the name of the cruise ship."

  "Oh. Who's Princess Andromeda? I've never heard of her."

  Luke just laughed. "You have a lot to learn."

  We pulled up next to one of the ship's lower docks and Luke fastened the jet-ski to the side. It took all my strength to not fall over when I was climbing on to the dock. Luke said he thought there was going to be a storm coming. That didn't sound good.

  Luke gave me a grand tour of the Princess Andromeda. The ship was full of strange creatures, some of which looked like they had come from the nightmares I often get. Some looked like they came straight from hell - literally. Of course, being a nine-year-old, I was absoultely scared to death, so I took Carly out of my backpack and hugged her close. 

  "You'll be staying in one of the grand suites," Luke said. "After all, you are a special guest."

  As I stepped into my new room, I was astonsihed by how big it was. There was a king-sized bed in the middle of the room by the glass doors, which led out to a balcony overlooking the ocean. A large dresser with a mirror on top sat across from the bed, and there were nightstands on both sides. In the other rooms, which were connected to the main bedroom, there was a small kitchen, a bathroom, and a small living room with a couch and a large TV. It was bigger than any room I'd ever been in, probably even bigger than my old house. 

  "I'll let you get settled in."

  I began to unpack my bag. I realized that I might need more clothes, seeing that they all could fit in one drawer. I guess I'll ask Luke for some more in the morning. I sat on the couch and looked through the TV guide to see what channel had cartoons. I didn't have Cable at my old house, and all my mom watched was the news, so I was glad to watch something else for a change. 

  I sat and watched TV for an hour or so until I heard a knock on the door. I got up and looked through the peephole. It was Luke, so I opened it. 

  "I came to get you for dinner. You will be having dinner with the rest of the crew at six o'clock every night. After tonight, it will be your responsibility to get there on time, so pay attention to where we are going so you don't get lost."

  We turned left, then right, and took a staircase down into the huge cafeteria. I was surprised to see some dazed humans walking through the buffet line. For some strange reason, they didn't even notice the monsters behind them. Of course, I noticed them, and I hid behind Luke. And Luke noticed that I was hiding behind him, too.

  "Relax, Sam, they're working for me, they're not going to hurt you."

  I wasn't too sure about that. They looked hungry and had sharp teeth and pointy appendages. But, I trusted Luke, and came out from my hiding spot.

  We walked through the buffet line. I had never seen so much food in my life. I piled my plate with mac-and-cheese, broccoli, chicken nuggets, and of course, bread. I really liked bread, for some reason. Mybe it was the way a freshly baked roll seemed to melt in your mouth with every warm, chewy bite. Maybe it was because it was tough on the outside, but soft and fluffy on the inside, just like my uncle (and Luke). Maybe it was because I just really liked bread. Maybe it was because I grew up on a wheat farm. 

  Anyways,  I followed Luke up onto a stage overlooking the dining hall. There were other humans there too, surprisingly, and some more monsters. I recognized Ethan. He waved. Luke led me over to the center table and told me to sit wherever I wanted. I took a seat next to Luke, uncertain of what other creatures might show up and want to eat me for dinner.

  I ate my dinner in silence while Luke chatted with some of the other people at our table. Finally, when the meal was beginning to come to a close, Luke stood on his chair and clanked his fork on his glass. A hush fell over the crowd.

  "My fellow comrades: meet Sam, Daughter of Kronos!"

  Cheers and wild applause sounded all around me. Luke smiled at me and beckoned for me to stand. I shyly stood up on my chair. I even smiled and waved a bit too. I was beginning to like it here.

  After dinner, I went back to my room. I put on my cow pajamas, which were folded neatly on my gigantic bed, cuddled Carly, and fell asleep.